jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (7 posts)

Writing a novel

1. silverstararrow profile image86
    silverstararrowposted 4 years ago

I've finally decided to go about writing the novel that I've always wanted to put down on paper. After numerous first drafts, I'm finally happy with the start that I've come up with. Now, the real problem is sticking to it and not abandoning it halfway through (which has happened before). How do I go about ensuring that I do not give it up too easily, too soon?

1. myownlife profile image60
      myownlifeposted 4 years ago in reply to this

Congratulations for deciding to work on novel, Decision is primarily important the rest you have passion and the best draft is already there, don't make us wait longer, Best of luck,

2. Millionaire Tips profile image90
    Millionaire Tipsposted 4 years ago

Having never written a novel, I'm not sure how effective my advice will be, but I will try anyway.

You can give yourself deadlines - break up the job into chunks, such as chapters, or segments, and decide when they should be completed. Put that on your calendar so you can measure your progress.

1. georgepjr profile image80
      georgepjrposted 4 years ago in reply to this

Along with that I've always had to battle writers block and I just start writing like crazy, really depends on you, you don't want to bore yourself but get you brain working, hope that will help you a little and best of luck to you and your novel!!

3. 0
    Motown2Chitownposted 4 years ago

A hubber called Shadesbreath has published his first novel and is currently in the process of revising his initial draft of the second.  He has some great writing (novel writing) tips in his hubs.

Take a look - and GOOD LUCK! big_smile

1. ladybug187 profile image59
      ladybug187posted 4 years ago in reply to this

Pace yourself, I am allso writing a novel and honestly I overwhelmed myself when I first started and as of right now I have the first three chapters on top of chapters I don't know where they are going yet. So take baby steps do small amounts at a time and take a day off or two don't write every single day! I hope this helps and this is just my opinion!!

4. cryptid profile image93
    cryptidposted 4 years ago

Make an outline.  Figure your story out before you go ahead and spend hours and hours and end up at a dead end.  I think this is what discourages most writers.  They can't visualize finishing the project and it ends up overwhelming them.  If you chart your course before you begin you'll have a better chance of seeing it through.