How to Improve Your Spelling - Become a Better Speller
For Teens and Adults
There are many tips and tricks that you can use to become a better
speller. This article is targeted towards teens and adults, if you are
interested in how to help your child to become a better speller, please
check out : http://www.spellingfun.com/.
All of us were taught different methods to read and write growing up. Some of us may even speak English as a second language. That being said, everyone has different spelling abilities. Either way, it is never too late to improve your spelling.
Improve Your Spelling Products on Amazon.com
Benefits of Becoming a Better Speller
In today's society, it is simply frowned upon to have misspellings. Spelling words correctly shows that you take pride in your work. This is especially true in the business world. What if you were to hand write a memo to a co-worker and misspelled a word? Becoming a better speller will help improve your reputation and increase the respect that others have for you and your work.
What About Spell Check?
In my opinion, spell checking software is one of the best and one of the worst inventions in the history of mankind. On one hand, spell checking allows you to type freely and not worry about whether or not you're spelling correctly; it's fast and very productive. However, the conscious effort from you to spell correctly is not utilized. Because of this, you probably are not as good a speller as you could be, simply because it is no longer necessary for you to spell correctly.
Ways to Improve Your Spelling
There are many methods available to help improve your spelling. Here are just a few of them.
a Spelling Game (for grown-ups) Turn off your spell check while working
on a document. Make an effort to spell everything correctly. Take a
point off for every word that you spell incorrectly. Your goal is to
beat your previous score. However, you can "cheat" with a dictionary! (See next tip)
- Be "old-school" about it. Remember dictionaries? About 10 years ago, folks would use an actual, physical dictionary to look up words. Most of us don't have one sitting on a shelf anymore, but if you are working on a document and are not sure how to spell a word, look it up in a dictionary, whether it's dictionary.com or an actual book that is collecting dust on your shelf.
- Get Hi-Tech. On the road a lot?
Use your mobile phone to look up definitions of words that you're not
sure about. If your phone cannot do this, consider investing in a
portable electronic dictionary. Many have different translation
- Test Yourself. If you absolutely must use the spell
checking feature, test yourself. If a word is highlighted in red, try to fix
it before clicking on it to see your options. The instant gratification
aspect of spell check makes it so you don't have to think.
- Read more. Instead of watching the news on television, read it online. Instead of paying $20 for a DVD that will only give you 2 hours of entertainment, spend $20 on a book that will give you 10 hours of entertainment. The more you read, the more your brain will become accustomed to seeing words spelled correctly and will therefore absorb the correct spellings.
- Write more. Start a blog for pleasure and try to write an entry every day about the day's events, you will become a better speller just by writing more frequently.
- Help your children with their homework. If they don't know how to correctly spell a word, instruct them to look it up in the dictionary and you can learn it together. They'll never be the wiser that you didn't know how to spell it!
There you have it! After utilizing some or all of the tips above, I am quite confident
that you will gain the skills necessary to become a better speller. You'll be spelling better in no time!
Take The Poll!
Are You Confident With Your Spelling Abilities?See results without voting
More by this Author
Find out the basics of weight loss.
This article is the third in my series on low calorie and healthy eating for every meal of the day. Selecting delicious and easy low calorie meals can sometimes prove difficult, but I've compiled a list of some of my...
I recently wrote an article on Low Fat Breakfast Ideas and lo and behold, it has gotten lots of positive responses. Awesome! So, I thought readers would enjoy another article for Low Fat Lunch Ideas. This article will...