Spring Cleaning. Pleasure or Work?
I hate Housework, Love Spring Cleaning.
I hate housework, same thing day in day out, picking up the same things, washing the same clothes, drying the same dishes [I don't posess a dishwasher], hoovering and mopping the same floors. What a boring soul destroying activity it is. I just can't understand those that need to do it every single day to feel alive.
Now , Spring Cleaning is different, this is productive and I must stress that I perform this activity several times a year ,thereby avoiding the nessessity for every day housework.
I can honestly say ,that as a child ,if ever my mother 'told' me to clean my room,I cleaned it. Upon coming to see how I was getting on she often remarked that it was worse than when I started. As time has passed I have perfected this activity and can now get the job done without the place looking like a bomb hit it. haha.
Right ,now to the process and I think that this is best achieved in short paragraph form for easy reference for those in the mood.
After the usual houseworky bit, so the place is nice if people come to call..I start.
1. Gather together everything you need . Dusters and polish, bucket , damp cloth and detergent - [ sweet smelling ]- window cleaner: newspapers, vacuum, rubbish and recycling bags and stiff hand brush.
2. Top to Bottom works the best. If you start bottom to top ,chances are you'll give up ,justifying this with 'nobody sees upstairs' believe me you will know and it will bug the hell out of you.
3. Start in a room that you use the least, reason ,see 2
4. This is what I do ,I have to empty all cupboards, drawers, in fact remove everything from the room apart from the furniture and I put it all in my bedroom.This ensures that I finish the room that day and don't put it off.
5. Take down curtains, voiles, nets or blinds and wash first so that when you have finished they can be rehung restoring the room. If your curtains are of the 'dry clean 'variety , I suggest you arrange this a few days before.
6. Pull all empty furniture away from walls so that you can get behind , with your hand brush ,brush down the back of furniture and then the floor that is usually hidden.
7. Wash down the back of furniture with detergent,[I know this sounds odd ,but, I use ordinary washing powder] the room smells great after. Also don't forget your skirting boards whilst furniture is out.
8. Return furniture to their homes and with a damp cloth wash the inside of cupboards & drawers etc.
9. Your windows must then be cleaned and surrounding frames . All woodwork to be washed down and don't forget your doors.
10. Polish all furniture and vaccum the floor.
Spring cleaning is the ideal opportunity for Decluttering
Your room has now had a good spring clean ,decluttering is the next stage,so take yourself off to the bedroom where all the contents are. Take with you , rubbish, recycle bags and some empty boxes.
a. Most rooms have ornaments displayed and pictures hanging on the wall. These will also need to be cleaned so get that done and return to their rightful places within the room. If the room has too many try packing some away so that you can rotate them to give the room a different feel every now and then.
b. I know you don't have to, nor want to or even need to ,but ,you will feel so much better if all the rest of the stuff lying in your bedroom was sorted. This is the only opportunity in a twelve month period that you can do it and not feel depressed.
c. When decluttering you have to be ruthless, hence the rubbish bags ,recycling and boxes. Ask yourself these questions on every item:-
1. Is this important to me and my family? If it is sentimental, of course it is, but could it be stored? 2. When did I last use/wear this? Can you honestly say you have,within the last six months.If not , why not send to a charity or thrift shop where someone else could benefit. 3. Was this an impulse buy? We have all done it, Yes we have, bought something that will come in handy. Put it in a cupboard and there it stays, just in case. Guess what ,it's clutter. If you bought it for yourself ,chances are your friends would also appreciate the item, Pack in a box for a last minute gift or simply a 'I care about you' gift. 4. Last but not least if it is rubbish for goodness sake throw it away.
All that remains to be done now is to return your prized possessions back into your cleaned room. Hang your curtains and .....
One room is now completely spring cleaned. Take everything that no longer belongs in the home away and go have a 'nice cup of tea' you deserve it.
All that needs to be done now, is, to repeat the process in every other room in your home. Have Fun
More by this Author
Everyone has some string in their homes and the uses for it are varied. Here are a few uses that you might not have considered.
I discovered that 'Emo' is not a person nor a characature but whole lifestyle, a lifestyle that seems to be enveloping our young people, where their emotions are to the fore and they are not afraid to display them nor...