10 Eco-Friendly Futuristic Washing Machines You'll Love
10 Awesome Washing MachinesClick thumbnail to view full-size
Your washing machine isn't a very efficient appliance. Sure, it's a lot more convenient than hand-washing used to be back in the old days. Still, it's probably not as up-to-date as it could be. Once you see the washing machines in this article you might not think that your machine is all that convenient at all. And it's probably not as green as it could be. Even Energy Star washing machines are not as eco-friendly as appliances should be in the modern world. Check out the options that are beginning to emerge for the future:
- The Orbital. This washing machine has such a simple concept behind it that it's hard to believe it wasn't made before now. It has a sphere-shaped rum placed inside of it. This drum is removable so it doubles as a laundry basket. Imagine being able to just pull your laundry out of the machine in one fell swoop and then walk it over to the dresser where it's being put away! Then you can fill up the basket and take it back over to be washed. This design isn't just convenient, though; it's also green. You can easily see right away whether or not your drum is full. This allows you to do only full loads which saves both water and electricity. Very cool.
- The Maglev. People who love futuristic design styles will want to take a look at this washing machine. (You can see it in the picture slideshow that goes with this article). It looks like a cool little robot or twenty-second century appliance. Its also futuristic in its washing approach. It uses magnetic levitation (hence the name) to improve the washing experience so that you can use less water as well as less detergent. And it comes in five different colors so you don't have to sacrifice style for function.
- The OVO. Speaking of colors, one of the best designs in terms of cool new colors is the OVO concept washing machine. This one is designed with ergonomics in mind. It adds beauty with lights. And it comes with interchangeable color plates so that you can alter the color as your mood desires. Its illuminated screen conveys information such as the current time. This one doesn't get a lot of green points. However, it is designed to be placed out on view so you don't need an extra laundry room for it. This reduces the size of home you need which helps reduce energy waste in the home.
- The SHINE. Another concept washing machine that is designed for small spaces is The SHINE by Electrolux. This is a tiny little washing machine that is designed to hang on the wall in urban spaces. Its fun design includes lighting that creates ambient light for the room. This means you wouldn't need extra lighting in that area and may save energy that way. Small machines like this facilitate urban living which tends to be less wasteful than rural living (due to walkability, etc.)
- The Electrolux Renew. Electrolux has other cutting edge products as well. One of those is the high-tech Renew washing machine. Features include wi-fi, an OLED touchscreen and the use of RFID chips and infrared scanners to provide information to you about the condition and fabric composition of your clothing. This allows you to select optimal settings for fast washing. That's not all, though. This machine is actually a simple steam machine that cleans your clothes just by having you swipe them through the blades of steam.
- The Pebble. Believe it or not the Electrolux Renew isn't the only steam-based washing machine out there. The Pebble is based on the same idea. It washes, rinses, spot-treats and dries items using steam. And it does it super quickly. Its sustainable technology is a hallmark of the future. Like The SHINE this is a small wall-mounted machine that would work well in urban homes.
- The Electrolux iBasket. Let's look at just one more washing machine design from Electrolux - the iBasket. This one is similar to The Orbital in that it combines the laundry basket with the washing machine. What's cool about this one, however, is that it recognizes when the hamper is full and begins to wash your clothes accordingly. You just keep filling it up with dirty clothes until its full and it works its magic. What if you're not ready for it to start? You can connect to it via Wi-Fi and control it from a computer or phone.
- The Aquarium. This washing machine design takes features from several of the others. It is small and round like The Orbital. It is a free-standing piece of art like The Maglev. It is designed to be shown off and not to need its own laundry room like The Ovo. It doesn't require a water tap; you just fill it up with water when you need to which seems like it probably saves water as compared to traditional modern washing machines.
- The Re-cycle Laundry Center. You can tell that this machine is green just by looking at it since it's designed a lot like the traditional "recycle" symbol that we see so often. It's a machine with three parts - one for washing, one for drying and a third for to filter and recycle the used water. It spins around to re-distribute the water so that there is no need for an extra energy-draining pump.
- The Swirl. At the other end of the tech spectrum are the zero-electricity washing machines that are designed specifically for use in third world countries where electricity is often unavailable. The Swirl is the most popular of these designs. It is promoted as a washing machine inside of a soccer ball. Kids play with it, kicking it around, and the clothes get cleaned in the process. The tub doubles as a water-carrying device for families when it's not in use as a washing machine.
Re-Cycle Washing Machine
More by this Author
Many of us have decided that we want to live with fewer things. We want to get rid of the clothes that we don’t wear to make room in our closets for the clothes that make us feel our best. We want to pare down our...
- EDITOR'S CHOICE7
I don’t know about you but I hate to dust. In fact, I don’t do it nearly as often as I probably should which I’m a little bit ashamed to admit but it’s true nonetheless. Luckily, I’ve...
Dog toys can be a great source of entertainment, mental stimulation, and even dental hygiene for your pet. Plus, chew toys help take their focus off of the desire to chew your things! Unfortunately, though, a lot of...