Green Tips That You Can Use Now
Below you'll find some green living tips that will help you to cut down and do your part in contributing to a green home.
These tips are some of the ones that I use regularly. I teach them to my children because they are the future and hopefully there'll be something left for them.
Now, I know that there so much more that we can do but I feel good about my beginning.
If you use any of these let me know by leaving your comments. Teach me some new ones too.
In the garden
- If you love to garden then do your own compost just for your garden. In the summer months because it gets so hot and sunny all day, I just compost right into the earth. All of the peelings from vegetables, fruits, eggshells and old teabags go right into my garden. I turn the soil over occasionally but don't fuss about it. It takes time for everything to be broken down into the soil but my plants love it. The worms love it too and embrace and enrich my garden.
Cleaning the bathroom
- I fill a spray bottle with plain vinegar and dish soap then shake the bottle to combine. I use it to clean my sink, tub and wall. Just spray it on the wall and inside of the tub, scrub with a cloth or brush, rinse with water and you are rewarded with a beautiful shine. Using vinegar and water frees you from using harsh chemicals which are hazardous to you and the environment. Use it in your toilet to clean it too.
- When you enter a room and need the light, use
it but on your way out turn it off. Simple right?
your bulbs to a lower watt to help save you on energy costs.
The new or not so new now, fluorescent bulbs the swirly ones,
there are some issues as to whether they could lead to cancer.
Use your own guidance.
- Also use a power bar for those appliances that can be shut off and turn them off at the end of the night. Yes the bar is still drawing power but if it is energy efficient not as much as all of those appliances combined.
In the kitchen
- Run the dishwasher only when it's full. Aim for once a week or less. I hand wash dishes with a small amount of water in the sink. I do the same when it's time to rinse. Make it a chore if you have kids. Great way for them to learn responsibility.
- Recycle your clothes by giving them to a shelter, Salvation Army, someone you know who could use them or drop off centre. You've made a way for more to come to you.
Grow your own
- Tip #1 was composting so why not add to your garden by growing your own tomatoes or cucumbers or whatever veggies that you like. If you've never done it before just try one or two plants. Have fun with it. Maybe you'll discover that green thumb that you never knew you had. Mmmm, delicious. Enjoy.
- At laundry time, instead of doing several small loads throughout the week, save it and do one big load. Hang your laundry outside to dry. It smells great when it's dry and takes about 3-4 hours depending on the sun.
- Mop the floors and clean the windows with vinegar and water instead of using bleach or other harsh cleaners. Saves you money too.
In the kitchen
- If you use paper towel to clean up the kitchen counters, stove or for hand drying consider investing in dish towels instead. They can always be washed and reused. Save a tree. Plant a tree.
- To freshen a room instead of using spray or plug
ins, use essential oils. Essential oils are plant oils that are
super concentrated. There are many different types of oil. I use lavender most of the time as it's my favourite. A
couple of drops in the corner of a room will make all of the
difference. Use it in a diffuser or put a few drops on your
pillow for a good night sleep. Find them at the health food store.
What "greening" methods do you use?See results without voting
There you have it. I'm sure that you're already using some of these tips or maybe all of them. Kudos to you then. Keep it green.
If you enjoyed this hub please leave your comments and here are some more hubs to keep you going. Seeds to Sow for a Better Today, Sexy Underwear for Women, Jamaican Vacation and www.christiedwards.com.
More by this Author
Do you feel anxious? Are you stressed out trying to find ways to help yourself ?
Kissing! We all enjoy doing it. It's like second nature but do you know where a woman likes to be kissed?
Jamaican banana fritters are one of my favourite sweets. It's so simple and easy to make. Use the recipe when you have bananas at home that are tired looking and brown.