10 Home Décor Ideas for People who Pray or Meditate
People who pray or meditate often find that it is important to be able to do so on a daily basis. Although it’s great to go to church, temple or the local yoga studio on a regular basis, it is also important to have a place in your home that is conducive to calming down enough to reflect in whatever manner suits you best. There are many ways that you can create such a space in your home. Some of these also provide a great opportunity for improving your home décor!
Here are ten home décor ideas for people who pray or meditate:
1. Add a prayer bench. A really great prayer bench can be a terrific place for you to pray and yet can also double as a piece of furniture in your home. Choose a prayer bench that meshes well with your other furniture. A great example of this can be seen in the image at the top of this article where the prayer bench on the right hand side is a modern item that looks great with the rest of the furniture in the room.
2. Consider whether your bathroom would make a good prayer space. When you are trying to find the right space for prayer in your home, don’t overlook the bathroom as a great option. Many people find that this is the one room in the house where they get peace from the rest of the family and that can make it a great place for prayer and meditation. If that’s the case for you, you might want to do a bathroom overhaul to make it more conducive to restful prayer. Simplicity of design is the key here. Plus you need a specific place to pray whether that’s a great chair added to the bathroom or a new Jacuzzi tub where you can relax and meditate. Some people even choose to add a sauna to the home. If you have any experience with Native American steam bath prayers then this could make sense for you.
3. Create a vignette of religious items. A vignette is a display of items that is often placed on a fireplace mantle or a tabletop. You can carefully select religious items that are of importance to you and that also look really great on display together. Rosary beads, religious artwork and religious statues might be items that would work in your vignette. This vignette can double as a shrine for you depending upon your religious beliefs and personal tendencies in prayer.
4. Decorate your home with religious items from your travels. Many people find that their biggest spiritual moments have happened when they were traveling. India, Jerusalem and Vatican City are major areas for such experiences but they may happen elsewhere as well. If this has been the case for you then you might want to bring back a specific tangible item from your trip. Place this item as your home. Treat it like artwork so that it works as a great home décor item. It will also serve as a place to pray since you’ll often pause when you see it and take that time for yourself.
5. Hang a prayer flag as art in the home. Prayer flags are beautiful, color cloth flags that are most often associated with Buddhism but may be used by anyone who finds their beauty to be peaceful and calming. Their colorful nature and great texture make them obvious choices for home décor items as well. Hang them in children’s rooms, hallways and other living spaces to enjoy them on a daily basis.
6. Incorporate elements of zen design into your home. You don’t have to be a super religious person to want to enjoy peace and prayer in your home. Many modern people choose to incorporate the minimalism of zen design into their homes. You may do this throughout the home or just in one room to create a place of peace that is conducive to prayer, meditation or pure relaxation.
7. Put comfortable prayer mats on your floor. A lot of people who pray choose to do so on the floor, something that is a lot more comfortable if you have a great prayer mat beneath you. These mats can be selected so that they work well with the rest of your home design. When using them as home décor items, treat them as you would treat a great area rug. However, place them in places where you will find it easy to pray.
8. Remember that books, including religious books, can be home décor items. Books can be placed in many different ways to enhance the aesthetic appeal of the home. A single book on a side table makes a powerful statement. A stack of books on a mantle can be appealing to the eye. A series of books placed in organized fashion on a bookcase adds to the design of the home. For many people prayer includes books, whether it’s reading passages from the Bible or reading a daily affirmation. Place your books in easily accessible places where they also enhance the design appeal of your home.
9. Remember that candles can be great for meditation. Candles are a great home décor item. They can also be a great meditation or prayer aid. Don’t forget this when decorating your home for prayer.
10. Set aside a specific room just for prayer. You may want to actually go so far as to create a special room for prayer in your house. This may even be a large walk-in closet that has been converted into a space for prayer. If this is the case, make sure that you decorate it intentionally to support your desire to pray or meditate.
Do you have a place for prayer or meditation in your home?
More by this Author
Don’t know what to do when it comes to adding lights to your home? These twenty tips will help you get started: 1. Go green. You’ll save yourself a lot of money if you get...
Magenta is a really bold color. It’s bright and dramatic. It’s a fun color that adds a lot of pep and bounce to a space. It’s also a lot more versatile than many people think. It can be used for floral...
How can you tell if your mushrooms are turning bad? Find out the most common signs to look for before throwing them out.