10 Tips for Making Paisley Pretty in Your Home
Paisley is a really powerful shape. It can be used in home design but when it is it makes a definite and bold impact on the space. Not everyone is quite sure how to pull that off. Are you a little bit intimidated by the idea of using paisley in your home decorating? That’s understandable but these ten tips can help you make it work.
1. Choose a really small item to start with when introducing paisley into the home. For example, you might get a paisley pillow that you can set onto your sofa alongside several other solid colored pillows. Another option would be to get a small paisley rug to sit underneath a side table. This is a way to start exploring the use of texture, color and design in your space without making a huge commitment to it.
2. Use paisley decals on your walls. This is another way that you can explore the look of paisley in your house without a big commitment. Although vinyl wall decals will stay up for a long time if you want them to, they are also easy to take down. You can move them around and place them in different rooms to see where paisley will look best in your place.
3. Try tone-on-tone paisley. One reason that paisley is hard for people to work with in their personal spaces is because it’s typically such a colorful print. You can counter this problem by choosing a tone-on-tone paisley design. For example, you might get a dark blue bedspread that has a light blue paisley design on top of it.
4. Play with black and white paisley. This is another way to get the great pattern of paisley without having that problem of too much color in your space. In fact, black-on-white paisley is one of my favorite options for any area of the home. It’s super easy to decorate around!
5. Try oversized paisley shapes. This sounds like it would be hard to work with but actually a really oversized print can simplify the overall look of paisley. Instead of having many different paisley shapes repeating themselves throughout the space, you just have a few large paisley shapes. This works especially well for large items such as paisley upholstered furniture or paisley wallpaper.
6. Stick with the same color scheme throughout the room. For example, if the paisley that you select for your drapes is purple and blue then use a purple and blue theme throughout the rest of the space. This will allow you to bring the entire room together with one cohesive look even if you have competing patterns and designs in different parts of the room.
7. Put paisley in a child’s room. Kids’ rooms are a terrific place to play around with really bold colors and designs. Consider that when trying to figure out if paisley can work in your house.
8. Create an ethnic theme in your space. One of the things that you should know about paisley is that it is traditionally associated with Persian or Indian history. If you select a traditional paisley design then you can expand on that with a theme throughout the space. For example, you might choose a large paisley rug to go in front of your fireplace and then place some sculptural artwork from India on the mantle.
9. Test out a fruits and vegetables theme. If you look closely at paisley you’ll see that it’s very inspired by the shape and colors in fruits and vegetables. Play off of these theme as you decorate. This is a great option for using paisley in the kitchen, an untraditional spot for it where it can actually work really well!
10. Don’t be afraid to try! Being willing to take some risks with your home design is what will make your home special!
Paisley is one of the prints that I've listed in my article on ten terrific textiles for the home. Do you agree?
More by this Author
The corner sofa is a terrific furniture choice for any home. Even though it’s a large piece of furniture, it is shaped in such a way that it fits neatly into almost any space. The corner sofa provides a terrific...
Many people believe that it's a lot healthier for you to stand at your desk while you work than to sit down the way that most of us do. For one thing, sitting all day isn't good for your posture or your midsection. If...
How can you tell if your mushrooms are turning bad? Find out the most common signs to look for before throwing them out.