How to Use Green Tomatoes
Long ago when everyone raised their own food there were a multitude of recipes for using up the very last vegetables in the garden before frost. When frost was looming grandmother would pick the tomatoes regardless of color and create magical relishes, side dishes, and even dessert! It was important then, as it is now, not to waste one ounce of food.
Here are some of those recipes.You can find basic canning instructions on my article, Home Canning, How To Preserve the Harvest.
Green Tomato Mincemeat Recipe
In my family this filling has been used in half moon pies, so named because the dough is cut around a small saucer, filled, folded over and sealed before frying. This makes small pies in the shape of a half moon. In the South they are known as fried pies.
Green tomatoes make a tangy, but delicious filling..and the pies do freeze well. You can also can the mincemeat in jars for use in any mincemeat recipe.
- 8 quarts green tomatoes
- 8 quarts apple, cored, peeled and diced
- 2 Tablespoons ground cinnamon
- 2 Tablespoons cloves
- 1 Tablespoon ginger
- 2 teaspoons freshly ground nutmeg
- 2 lbs golden raisins
- 1 cup white vinegar
- 2 Tablespoons salt
- 5 Oranges, peeled, seeded and chopped
- 1 lb candied orange peel (homemade is best)
- 3 lemons, peeled and chopped
- 3 cups water
- 6 lbs brown sugar
- 1/2 lb unsalted butter (2 sticks)
- Combine all ingedients and cook slowly in a slow cooker for 6-10 hours or a saucepan, stirring often, for 3-4.
- Seal in sterilized pint jars.
- Makes about 25- 30 pints depending on tomatoes.
Green Tomato Relish
A tangy relish -- perfect for hot dogs and hamburgers.
- 20-25 large green tomatoes
- 4 red bell peppers
- 1green bell peppers
- 1 yellow bell pepper
- 1 orange bell pepper
- 10 onions
- 3 tbs celery seed
- 3 tbs mustard seed
- 1 tbs salt
- 5 c sugar
- 2 c cider vinegar
- Coarsely grind vegetables with a hand grinder or food processor.
- Pour into cheesecloth lined colander and let drain for a couple of hours.
- Bring sugar, salt, spices and vinegar to boil in large enamel pot.
- Pack ground vegetables into sterilized pint jars, pour vinegar mixture over and run a spatula down sides to release air bubbles.
- Seal and process according to directions.
- Makes about 10 pints.
Green Tomato Cake
Make a cake with green tomatoes? Why not -- you'll be surprised at the flavor.
- 4 c chopped green tomatoes
- 1/2 c unsalted butter
- 2 c sugar
- 2 eggs
- 2 c flour
- 1 tsp each of cinnamon, cloves, nutmeg
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 c chopped pecans
- Place tomatoes in bowl and cover with salt for 15 minutes.
- Drain, rinse well. Cream butter and sugar, add eggs one at a time.
- Beat until creamy.
- Add dry ingedients and nuts.
- Fold in tomatoes.
- Pour into a greased 13 x 9 pan.
- Bake at 350 for 40 minutes.
- Cool and frost with cream cheese frosting.
- 12 large servings.
End of the Garden Pickles
These will be a reminder of summer on your winter dinner table.
- 1 c chopped cucumbers
- 1 c chopped bell peppers
- 1 c chopped cabbage
- 1 c chopped onion
- 1 c chopped green tomatoes
- 1 c chopped carrots
- 1 c string beans, cut in 1' pieces
- 1 c chopped celery
- 1 tbs celery seed
- 2 tbs mustard seed
- 2 c cider vinegar
- 2 c sugar
- 2 tbs turmeric
- Soak vegetables, except green beans and carrots, in salt water overnight.
- Drain well and rinse.
- Cook beans and carrots just until tender.
- Drain and add to other vegetables.
- Bring vinegar, sugar, salt and spices to boil and add vegetables.
- Cook for 10 minutes at a slow boil.
- Ladle into sterilized pint jars and seal.
Basic method for making jam
Green Tomato Jam
An unusual jam that is delicious on hot toast.
- 3 c finely chopped green tomatoes
- 1/2 c lemon juice
- 7 1/2 c sugar
- 1 tsp unsalted butter
- 2 pouches certo fruit pectin
- Measure 3 cups of tomatoes into 6 qt saucepan. Make sure it is exactly 3 cups!
- Add lemon juice.
- Stir in sugar and butter. The small amount of butter in this recipe is necessary to prevent foaming.
- Bring mixture to a full rolling boil stirring constantly.
- Stir in pectin and bring mixture back to a full boil.
- Cook exactly one minute stirring constantly.
- Remove from heat, skim, and ladle into sterile half pint jars.
- Seal and process.
More by this Author
Most home gardeners don't think about growing cranberries in their home gardens but it can be done. The cranberry grows naturally only on the continent of North America.
While glass cloches are a charming addition to any garden there are other, less expensive ways to accomplish the same thing. Empty gallon milk cartons, two liter soda bottles, and even chipped Mason jars can find a...
Can you tell the difference between a rat snake, also called a chicken snake and a poisonous copperhead? Get details and images in this article.