20 Tips for Adding Neon to your Home
Neon colors are bright and bold. Some people love them and some people hate them but it’s hard to be completely indifferent to them. If you are thinking about adding neon to your home, make sure to look at the following twenty helpful tips:
1. Start with furniture and accessories instead of painting the walls. This is a good way to test out neon without committing to it. Neon artwork is another great way to bring a little bit of neon into the home.
2. One bright neon piece makes a bold statement in a dark or neutral room. If you want bold, this is the way to do it. Picture a grey or black room with a bright neon blue couch in it and you’ll be able to imagine the effect.
3. Neon colors can complement each other as long as they are not overdone. For example, a neon green lamp sitting on a neon pink desk can work. That whole thing in a room with neon yellow walls might be a bit much.
4. Decorate the rest of the room first and then add in the neon. It is a lot easier to select neon to be added to a room than to try to find the right individual items that go together properly in a room that already has neon in it.
5. You can use a lot of neon in one space if it’s spread out. For example, you might have a neon accent wall, a neon rug and a neon furniture item. However, they shouldn’t be crowded together in one small space.
6. In contrast, though, neon paint works best in a small space. Either use it only on one accent wall or use it in a small room like a bathroom.
7. Another option for neon paint is to use to paint small sections of large rooms. This is different from the large accent wall. Instead, it means painting just a door or just the wall that is mostly covered by cabinets.
8. Create a surprising effect by painting your closet in neon. You get to enjoy it when you open that closet door but don’t have to see it all of the time every day.
9. Neon is a great addition to a child’s playroom. Bright colors are ideal in these spaces. You can use neon in kids’ bedrooms, too, but you should be sparing since this is a color choice that increases energy levels.
10. Neon shouldn’t typically go in an adult’s bedroom for this reason. You usually want to relax in your bedroom and neon will add energy to the space, throwing off your sleep and restfulness.
11. Get your hands on some neon baskets. They can help you organize your stuff in a colorful and fun way. You can always stick them away when you’re tired of bright colors.
12. Neon adds a really fun burst of color to a white space. Try it! The result is a crisp and clean look with a little bit of pop.
13. Test out the look of neon outdoors. Most people decorate their yard with natural colors, choosing wood furniture and other nature-based décor. Shake things up a bit in your front or back yard or out on the balcony by adding a neon furniture item to this space.
14. Solid neon colors are easier to work with than patterns. That said, patterns can be really amazing in terms of their visual impact. A striped blanket that includes some neon stripes would be a great example. If you’re daring and bold, try this. Otherwise stick with the solids.
15. Neon signs are usually a no-no. Your home will look like a bar. Of course, there are exceptions. If you get your hands on a really cool sign and you like the way that it looks as artwork in your media room then go for it.
16. Think about retro designs when working with neon in your home. There are a lot of old items that were done in neon. Neon clocks are a great example of a retro item that could be added to the home.
17. Choose neon paint in areas that you don’t want to paint often. Of course, this means that you will be committing to the neon in your home. The reason that you want to do this is a good one, though. Neon is a shiny color that tends to last longer than matte or neutral colors. This durability means that you’ll save money since you won’t need to repaint again in the near future.
18. Neon is ideal in spring and summer. It doesn’t really work as well in fall and winter. If you enjoy changing out blankets and drapes to suit the season then use neon during the warmer months of the year.
19. Remember that there are a lot of different neon colors. Many people just think of really traditional neon colors like neon orange and neon green. Try something less traditional like a neon purple!
20. There are shades of color that are close to neon but are not actually neon. This is something to keep in mind if you’re still having trouble working with neon in your home. You can choose one of these other shades instead and it may be a lot easier to work with. For example, a bright shade of orange may be better than true neon orange.
Do you dare to use neon in your home? Tell me how!
More by this Author
When you think about putting up posters in your home, you probably think of celebrity heartthrobs on the bedroom walls of teenagers. However, posters can be super classy in even the chicest of adult homes. There are...
What are your favorite textiles to use in the home? One of the home textiles that I love is gingham. It's tough to get gingham right in home decorating. If you over-do it, your house ends up looking like a country...
How can you tell if your mushrooms are turning bad? Find out the most common signs to look for before throwing them out.