What Else Is Toothpaste Good For Besides Brushing Your Teeth With?
All of us are aware of how important toothpaste is for our teeth. How nice and fresh our teeth and mouth feel after being brushed with toothpaste. But for it our teeth would yellow, develop cavities, rot and decay.
But did you know that this very toothpaste is a multi tasker as well? That it can not only clean but whiten, polish, buff, smoothen, and more. In fact, do a multitude of other things?
And yes, the toothpaste we are talking about here is the good old, simple white toothpaste and not any of the fancy ones like the gel, whitening or the rest.
So here we go...
What's In a Toothpaste?
So what all ingredients does a basic toothpaste have? Lets have a look...
First and foremost, all toothpastes have abrasives. Compounds like hydrated silica, hydrated alumina, calcium carbonate, and dicalcium phosphates are the ones incorporated. This is what aids in removing stains off the teeth.
Toothpaste also contains detergents, which again are cleaning agents and they are the reason for foam in the paste. Sodium lauryl sulphate is the most common detergent used.
Fluoride is another very important component of toothpaste that helps not not only fight cavities but also strengthen the enamel. It is found in the form of sodium fluoride, stannous fluoride or sodium monofluorophosphate.
Also found are ingredients like glycerol, propylene glycol and sorbitol called humectants that keep the toothpaste moist, binders like Carrageenan (seaweed gum), gum arabic, sodium carboxymethylcellulose and magnesium aluminum silicate that help in binding together the different ingredients ,and preservatives like sodium benzoate, methyl paraben, ethyl paraben, in non fluoride toothpastes.
And finally, flavoring and sweeteners, which help make the toothpaste taste good, making brushing with it a sweet experience. Weren't it for them, toothpaste would taste bitter and unappealing to taste, so much so, we would avoid brushing with it.
But we are digressing from the topic at hand. It's not about what constituents go in a toothpaste but what other uses a toothpaste has. So, without further ado, let's see some of these.
Some Amazing Uses For Toothpaste That You Would Like To Try
1. As we all know toothpaste helps in keeping our teeth enamel shining. In a similar way, cleaning our nails with toothpaste, will make them shine.
2. Toothpaste can be used to remove stains from the carpet. Apply toothpaste on the stains and rub it well. Then wipe it with a wet cloth to remove the stain. Similarly, toothpaste can be used on white clothes to remove stains.
3. If children have disfigured the walls in your home with crayon colors you can use toothpaste to remove these. Apply some toothpaste on a wet cloth and rub on the colors lightly.
4. Toothpaste can bring back the lost luster to your silverware and silver ornaments. Put some toothpaste on a thin cotton cloth and polish them with this. Wash it with plain water when done.
5. If your CD's and DVD's have developed minor scratches and they either refuse to play or skip, you can apply some toothpaste on a thin cotton cloth and rub their surface with a rotational movement from inside out lightly. Then wipe them with a fine wet cloth. They will start playing most of the time.
6. You can get rid of the bad odor in baby's milk bottle by using toothpaste. Add a little toothpaste and some hot water. Screw on the lid and shake it vigorously. Then wash it with plain water. This will eradicate the foul odor.
7. Keep the plate of your iron shining by rubbing some toothpaste on it. It will remove all the black/brown stains and mineral deposits on the plate.
8. Toothpaste will also work well to clean the glass of your reading glasses or goggles. Rub some paste directly onto the glass and then rinse with plain water.
9. Fill small holes on the walls left by nails, hooks etc with some white toothpaste. Fill and let dry, and then paint them over with white paint.
10. Take off all dirt and grime off refrigerator seals with toothpaste and a tooth brush.
11. If your hands stink after working with stuff like onions, fish or anything else, just wash them with toothpaste to get rid of the awful odor. They will smell awesome just like your mouth does after brushing.
12. Prevent your bathroom mirror from fogging due to hot water steam. Rub a little toothpaste on it and wipe clean before you have bath. Remove scum from glass shower doors as well.
13. Toothpaste works amazingly well to remove dark, ugly. scuff marks from your sneakers. Just apply toothpaste and rub them clean.
14. Remove minor scratches from car headlights, mobile screens etc by rubbing with the old faithful toothpaste yet again for a brighter headlight and a shinier cell phone screen.
15. And did you know that besides your sink, you can also clean your toilet bowl to a sparkle, with some dabs of toothpaste rubbed off with a cotton cloth?
Go ahead, use these tips and have fun!
Get your basic toothpaste here. Use for brushing or cleaning!
More Articles By The Author
- Lemongrass Herb, Lemongrass Tea, Lemongrass Essentia...
Lemongrass, the commonly used herb in Asian cuisine has immense benefits. It is also used to make lemongrass tea and lemongrass essential oil. Learn more about their health benefits...
- The Health And Nutritional Benefits Of Spirulina And...
Spirulina is one of the most nutritionally complete food. For an overview of its nutritional and health benefits, read on...
- How To Make Gold Water, Silver Water And Copper Wate...
Since ancient times metals have been used to treat various health conditions by the use of metal charged water. To learn more about this traditional Indian alternate therapy, read on...
- 2 Types Of Salts - Sendha Namak (Rock Salt) and Kala...
There are different types of salts available in the market. Read about 2 of these types of salt that are healthy for us-sendha namak or rock salt and kala namak or black salt and their health benefits...
- Health Benefits Of Himalayan Salt And Benefits Of So...
Salt is as essential a component of the human body as water. It is needed for various functions in the body. Himalayan salt is the only salt that provides all the essential minerals that the body needs. find out the health benefits of Himalayan salt
Uses Of Toothpaste: How To Fix a Hole in the Wall | Craftsman
© 2016 Rajan Singh Jolly
More by this Author
Read all about the gulmohar tree or the commonly called flame of the forest tree.
Spathodea, Flame of the forest, African tulip tree, Pichkari, Nandi flame are the names of the same tree. Learn about the various facets of this wonderful tree, its medicinal properties and uses.
The humble size of mung beans is no indication of the high levels and range of nutrients they provide and the host of health benefits they offer. Get to know all about these by reading this article