8 Tips for People Who Love Round Sofas
I am a huge fan of circular sofas. When I moved into my new apartment last year, I finally got rid of the trashed out sofa and loveseat I’d had for way too many years and invested in the round sofa that I really wanted. I got a luxurious purple round sofa the size of a love seat and am still enjoying how cozy and perfect it is for my space.
Round sofas are terrific. However, they aren’t easy to shop for. And they are difficult to decorate around. Here are eight tips to help you out if you’re a little bit stuck when it comes to finding and using round couches in your home:
1. The easiest place to find a round sofa is by shopping online. I did take my time in trying to find my own round sofa. I went to a range of different stores in my local area. This included furniture stores, design stores and thrift stores. I did find a few circular couches when I looked around. However, most stores only had one or two (if any) so it was really tough to find something I liked locally. I decided to do my sofa shopping online. This was a tough call for me because even though I love shopping online I prefer to get furniture in person. I like being able to actually sit on a sofa to see if I like it. Nevertheless, I decided that the range of options online was much more favorable to what I could find locally so I purchased my round sofa via the Internet. I’d recommend doing a lot of comparison shopping, reading reviews and making sure that there’s an easy return policy in case you don’t like the sofa that you select.
2. Your round sofa should have a backrest. There are round sofas without backrests but these tend to work better as ottomans than actual couches. A real couch needs a backrest. There are three common ways that you’ll see a backrest positioned on a circular sofa:
o As a semi-circle on one half of the round sofa (this looks like a traditional backrest).
o Protruding up from the center of the sofa (this creates a backrest for anyone sitting on the sofa, facing away from each other).
o As a nearly full circle around the entire back of the sofa. This design features a center cutout from the middle of the round sofa and one “seat” is missing so that you can get in to the sofa. This is a good sofa for conversation.
3. Round sofas may go in corners or in the center of the room. If you have a round sofa that has all-the-way around seating then it should be placed in the center of the room. If you have a round sofa with a full back or a semi-circular back then it should go in a corner. If you have a bay window or other rounded “corner” of the room then this is ideal.
4. A free-standing lamp often fits perfectly in the corner behind a round sofa. If you do put a circular sofa in the corner of a room (and the corner is not rounded out) then there is going to be a space between the back of the round sofa and the wall itself. This is often a great place to put a free-standing lamp. It doesn’t take additional space in the room and can provide terrific task lighting for any reading or other activities that you do on the sofa requiring extra light.
5. A round sofa can’t always replace a traditional sofa. If you have people stay at your house sometimes and sleep on the couch then you’ll want to have a regular sofa in addition to your new round couch because most round sofas don’t work for stretching out at full length. Get a small round sofa and it can serve as a chair that complements a longer couch design.
6. Circular decorations will enhance the effect of the round sofa design. A great tip for improving the way that the room looks after adding your round sofa to it is to play off of the shape of the sofa with circular designs throughout the room. A round globe-shaped lamp shade, a circular rug, a round ottoman and circular-designed wallpaper are all ways that you can add this shape nicely to a room.
7. Think carefully about the color of your round sofa. I elected to get a purple sofa for my own home. I like it well enough but if I had it to do over again I’d pick a color that was a little bit less bold. The thing is that the shape of a round sofa is already bold enough. Extra bold colors and patterns take it a bit overboard in my opinion. A great round sofa in black or a neutral color would be a top choice in my book.
8. A semi-circular sofa is a nice alternative to the round sofa. There may be a lot of reasons that a regular full round sofa doesn’t work for your home. There may be space issues or cost issues or you may just not be able to find a round sofa design that you love quite enough to commit to. If you like the idea of a round sofa but can’t find one that works for you then consider looking into the semi-circular sofa as a nice alternative. It will have the curvy, feminine look of a regular round sofa but may be more efficient for use in your home. And if you place a chair or two opposite the semi-circle but facing towards it then you can get the nice conversational effect of a round sofa.
Do you have a round sofa? Tell me about it!
More by this Author
I think that the bathroom is a room in the home that should be a sanctuary. Many people create spa-like bathrooms where they can indulge in beauty treatments and relaxation. As for me, I prefer to have a fun and flirty...
Many people believe that it's a lot healthier for you to stand at your desk while you work than to sit down the way that most of us do. For one thing, sitting all day isn't good for your posture or your midsection. If...
How can you tell if your mushrooms are turning bad? Find out the most common signs to look for before throwing them out.