How do I Choose the Right Hurricane Candle Holder?
What is a Hurricane Candle?
To some hurricane holders are just a decorations in the home.
But to collectors, they are special items on display. Hurricane candles are usually made of glass or metal and allow the light to show through them like lanterns. There are literally thousands to choose from. Open any home décor catalog and you will find many brands, shapes and sizes. When choosing them, please consider the right one for you and your family based on safety, personal symbolism (like wedding candles) and easy cleaning.
Hurricane Candle Holder Safety
Why do I need one anyway?
The most obvious function is to capture hot wax and in order to prevent fires. Candles cause more than 15000 house fires a year. Don’t be one of these statistics. Glass hurricane candle holders have a better track record for the following reasons:
- The flame is contained within the glass so it cannot burn you as easily.
- Most have large bases that cannot be toppled easily. For a family with children, where accidents happen, these may be the candles for you.
- When a this type of candle is knocked over, the flame is contained and less easily spread.
- Flames are easily extinguished by denying the flames oxygen.
The Right Symbolism Makes All the Difference
What are you talking about?
What kind of symbolism could just a centerpiece that I once received as a gift represent? While candles themselves are said to have many metaphysical, spiritual, and some believe physical healing; the styles of the holders themselves have deep-rooted meanings in some cultures and religions. For instance, a red-colored holder may symbolize courage, while a celtic knot represents earth and unity. The hurricane candle holder may have you initials on it or signed by the famous who designed it. I learned on QVC, that having the artist signature on any item increases the value.
Make My Candle Easy to Clean
And how do I keep it clean and free off wax so that my visitors truly appreciate it? These simple tips may help you remove wax more easily:
- Immerse in warm water. This will often loosen the soot.
- For items that cannot be in water like some metals, freezing can loosen the wax
- Use a commercial cleaning agent
- Scrape of wax with a spoon or knife covered in cloth to prevent scratching
Choosing is Much Easier
The next time you are in the market for a hurricane candle holder, whether it be for a special gift or for yourself, please take the time and consider my advice and choose the right one.
More by this Author
Is Malachite the stone for you? Take a moment to learn about all the awesome healing properties of this healing stone.
How do you extinguish your candle? Many of us blow them out, while others use candle snuffers, and there are the brave souls that pinch them out with their fingers.
Explore the different healing properties of lapis lazuli and decide if this is the stone for you.