A Home Library
Being raised from a mother that loved books, it was definitely passed on to her three daughters. I will share some quotes to express my feelings toward books.
I would be most content if my children grew up to be the kind of people who think decorating consists mostly of building enough bookshelves. (Anna Quindlen)
Books serve to show a man that those original thoughts of his aren't very new after all. (Abraham Lincoln)
There is a wonder in reading Braille that the sighted will never know: to touch words and have them touch you back. (Jim Fiebig)
A library is a place that contains books, periodicals, and other material for:
The Dewey decimal classification system is used by many libraries to catalog books and assign call numbers (indicates the specific location of a work in a library). This system may help organize your own home library.
Dewey decimal system
000 General Topics
500 Pure Science
700 The Arts
300 The Social Sciences
800 Language and Rhetoric
900 Geography and History
Interacting with books
Physical books are being left behind by some people that have found in the Internet media a way to get information. I also understand that e-Books have been providing satisfaction to many readers.
No matter what the statistics say, I know that a book is a book. A book does not require electricity, Internet or a computer; the three mentioned are not always available, neither are they guaranteed. Did you observe the picture above and enjoy the concentration and coziness the interaction of reading brings?
Physical Book vs. e-Book
Which do you prefer?See results without voting
It is not only where to read, but how to keep them
A home library
To sit alone in the lamplight with a book spread out before you, and hold intimate converse with men of unseen generations - such is a pleasure beyond compare. (Kenko Yoshida).
A book is a book when it is alone. When more books are gathered they may need shelves to store and keep them. If you love books and have found in them the uses they offer, a library will be inevitable. The size, space and furniture will be part of the unique touch that each person will give.
Don't let books be a burden, make them part of your home decoration. There are a million ways to display a wall shelve in thousands of materials and shapes.
We don't have to start immediately with all the shelves. You will see that step by step, and a good design plan, will make a great home library. Homes have many unused spaces and empty spots that will bring enlightenment with bookshelves. Hallways, staircases, and closets are some of the areas that every home have; perhaps after searching a good spot you will be happy to start your home library.
How to organize your home library:
This is another personal issue. Our books are by themes: Science, Art, History, etc. Let me share some ideas:
- Separate them on the floor and pack them by theme, color, sizes or titles in alphabetical order. This is very personal but it is good to decide how they will be organized to be found and used.
- Encyclopedias or series books should be kept together.
- When others know that you have your home library they will want to borrow them and perhaps you are a lender. Keep them tracked by having a notepad in a specific place. This is not a greedy action but an educational, social community rule.
- I like to clean my books with the vacuum. From time to time, I use a wet/dry cloth for that domestic cleaning assurance. If allergy is a problem, keep dust free storage places. You may also add a plastic or a window door; books deserve to be kept dry and clean.
- Be careful with humidity, it is one of the worst enemies of books. I try to keep them where air flows.
If you love to read...
If you love to read, but don't want or cannot keep books:
- Donate them to a library or somebody else.
- Start a trading group.
- Leave them in a safe place (bus seat, or bench) with a note for someone else to read and then for them to do the same.
If you love to read don't forget the value of a book. Today Internet is accessible, but good things don't always last. We need to go back to basics and find ways to protect our trees and environment without replacing books. Better to enjoy both now, than to regret not starting a home library.
Learn and teach love for books.
If there's a book you really want to read but it hasn't been written yet, then you must write it. (Toni Morrison). I love this quote; it encourages creation and from their creativity. We do love books and we are writing our own. The link is to the side if you are interested in learning how to Self publish and market. By doing so, you will have your own personal home library!
Blessings to all!
© Maria Magdalena Ruiz O'Farrill
- Best Books for Children ~ First Photo Baby Books ~ Baby Shower Books
I grew up with the love of reading instilled at an early age by my parents and grandparents. Giving one's children a head start in life by reading to them and giving them their own books can only affect them positively the rest of their lives. Look a
A wonderful home library
© 2013 Maria Magdalena Ruiz O'Farrill
More by this Author
An overview of the prodigious opera performance.
From all the comparisons made of women, the one I identified best is with the rose. Poems, rhymes, verses and stanzas have been written comparing a woman and a rose.
From A to Z of the African People series, the letter F is dedicated to the Fur people of Africa.