Ask DJ Lyons: Home Office Renovations Day 11
My home office is being re-done
I can see the light at the end of a very long-feeling tunnel. We are getting closer to the end of the renovations on my home office. This hub will incorporate several things that got accomplished over the course of 2 days: Tuesday and Wednesday, Feb. 15-16, 2011.
My husband and I used filler to fill in cracks in the logs. That was really fun to use a screwdriver to try to drive the filler in as far as it would go. There was one crack where I had to use 5 layers deep to finally get the crack filled. My husband said this filler is a real money-saver as caulk is rather expensive. He will be putting white caulk on top of all the places where we put that black filler.
He then caulked most of the cracks.
In the meantime, my husband and I went to Lowe's and bought a really pretty solid stain called Colonial Yellow. If all our wood had been one color only, we would have gotten semi-transparent stain so that the wood grain would also show. But since the wood where the built-in chest of drawers and built-in bed had been located is a really dark wood, we elected to use solid stain instead.
As a surprise to me, he stained two sections of the wall where no new chinking was needed. I absolutely love the yellow. I think the room is going to be very bright and sunshiny. It was hard for me to go to sleep that night as I was so excited.
In the meantime, we picked out the color chinking we wanted - kind of a bone color. We are now waiting for that to come in. Once that is put in and it has had a chance to dry, then we can stain all the walls. After that, the Rosewood Laminant flooring can finally be installed.
Office Renovations Before Look
- Ask DJ Lyons: Office Renovations Before Look
Behold the before look of my home office that also doubles as my dressing room. This room is 10 foot by 12 foot. That includes the tiny closet. The date is January 30, 2011. Motivations for getting the room...
Office Renovations Former Day-by-Day Looks
- Ask DJ Lyons: Office Renovations Day 1
My home office in our log cabin is being completely re-done. On day 1 of the renovations, my two handymen are starting to remove the built-in furniture. Once they are gone, they will probably tear out the...
- Ask DJ Lyons: Home Office Renovations Day 2
My home office in our log cabin is being completely re-done. On day 2 of the renovations, the two handymen started to tear out the floor boards. They quickly discovered why the room bowed toward the center....
- Ask DJ Lyons: Home Office Renovations Day 3
My home office in our log cabin is being completely re-done. On day 3 of the renovations, the two handymen tore out the rest of the floorboards. It had rained in the night; therefore, there was a lot of...
- Ask DJ Lyons: Home Office Renovations Day 4
My home office in our log cabin is being completely re-done. To back up,we are getting this room completely re-done because the floor had been bowing to the center. My husband and I figured that the ground...
- Ask DJ Lyons: Home Office Renovations Day 5
My home office in our log cabin is being completely re-done. On day 5 of the renovations, Ask DJ Lyons: Office Renovations Before Look Behold the before look of my home office that also doubles as my dressing...
- Ask DJ Lyons: Home Office Renovations Day 6
My home office in our log cabin is being completely re-done. On day 6 of the renovations, Chuck came in and sprayed for termites. He also will help deal with those drain pipes, get estimates on replacing the...
- Ask DJ Lyons: Home Office Renovations Day 7
My home office in our log cabin is being completely re-done. On day 7 of the renovations, Tommy and Dal showed up. The day is Tuesday, February 8, 2011. Tommy was carrying a box that is holding the extender...
- Ask DJ Lyons: Home Office Renovations Day 8
My home office is being re-done and I am so excited. On Friday, February 11, 2011, the floor joists got laid down. This is quite a contrast to the former situation of the floor bowing in the center. In...
- Ask DJ Lyons: Home Office Renovations Day 9
We are on the home stretch now of the home office renovations. On Saturday, Feb. 12, 2011, Tommy and Dal began laying down the new flooring. It is very exciting watching this day-by-day progress. It gives me...
- Ask DJ Lyons: Home Office Renovations Day 10
I am thrilled to say that on Valentine's Day, 2011, the basic flooring has been completely installed. We still have the laminant to add after we get the room repainted; however, I am thrilled to walk on a very...
- Ask DJ Lyons: Ode to a deceased squirrel unearthed from under my office floor
My husband and I are getting my home office renovated completely. The room had bowed to the center. We figured that was because the ground had shifted. Instead, it turns out that the logs holding up the floor...
See the filler roll. This was the crack that took about 5 layers one on top of the other to fill it completely. This was really fun to do.
My husband applies caulk using his caulk gun
My husband is applying the white caulk on top of the black filler. He will also apply white caulk on the cracks that were too narrow for filler.
He kept a wet dishrag nearby so he could wet his finger occasionally to keep it from sticking to the caulk as he smoothed it out.
Colonial Yellow Solid Stain
My husband gave me a lovely surprise by adding the stain to two of the wall sections. Like I mentioned above, I was so excited, I had trouble falling asleep that night. The last time I looked at the clock was 5:01 a.m. I am eagerly anticipating the day when I can finally move in. Woo-hoo!
Two different colors of wood
See the two different colors of wood. The darker wood was what came to light after the built-in chest of drawers finally got removed. The Colonial Yellow stain should cover it completely.
Here are our 10 boxes of Rosewood Laminate that should be enough to cover a 10 foot by 12 foot room. Tommy told me to bring it in from the car so it can get aclimated to the room's temperature. This should keep it from expanding or contracting when they get ready to apply it.
Installation Kit for Laminate Flooring
Here is the installation kit they will use to install the flooring that has a hardwood floor look. I think the flooring will look amazing!
Great Stuff Gaps & Cracks - Insulating Foam Sealant
Tommy and Dal showed up the morning of Feb. 15th and scraped off the excess solution from the Insulating Foam Sealant they had applied the previous day.
You can see the before look with that puffy sealant sticking up.
Walking toward the room
This is how the room looks as you walk toward it. You can see some of the Colonial Yellow stain applied to one of the wall sections.
Stay tuned to hubs showing the day-by-day after looks
- Ask DJ Lyons: Home Office Renovations Day 12
It is Day 12 of the home office renovation adventure. This does not mean 12 consecutive days. This simply means the 12th day progress got made on the restructuring of the entire room. On this day, Sunday,...
- Ask DJ Lyons: Home Office Renovations Nearing Finish Line
Thank goodness that my home office renovations is nearing the finish line at last. A job that was just supposed to take 3 or 4 days has turned into nearly 4 weeks. So as to not drag this out any longer...
- Ask DJ Lyons: Home Office Renovations Completed
Phew! A job that was originally only supposed to take 3 or 4 days took nearly 4 weeks. Finally, the home office renovations in our little log cabin is completed. Thank goodness for that! Should this be the...
Caulking Gun to apply Caulk
* Professional-grade 1/10-gallon drip-free caulk gun
* Thermoplastic comfort grip
* Professional drip-free hex rod
* Includes ladder hook
* All-steel, welded construction
* Two speeds for precise results
* Drip resistant tip for easy clean-up
* On-board tool punctures caulk tube seals
* Weighs 3.8 pounds; 2-year warranty
* Includes powered caulk gun, four "AA" batteries, and a tube carrier
* All purpose light weight caulk gun is 40% lighter than models w/similar features
* Rugged composite construction for durability
* Engineered ergonomic grip for comfort
* Reduces stress in hand & arm
* Rotating barrel
* Smoothly dispenses caulks, adhesives and sealants from standard cartridges
* Shut-off valve stops material when trigger is released
* Dispenses 10.1 fl. oz (uses 1-15/16-Inch diameter by 8.5-Inch cartridge)
* Professional quality
* Smooth rod and quick-release mechanism
* Holds most standard cartridges
* For light to medium applications
* Industrial grade caulk gun
* 18 to 1 ratio
* Designed to reduce stress in hand and arm
* No drip feature allows for better bead control
* Sharp precision cutter and extra long clean out
* Professional-grade high-thrust ratio caulk gun
* 18:1 thrust ratio
* Revolving barrel
* Zinc alloy handle
* Includes ladder hook
* Mechanical advantage 7:1
* Retractable seal puncturing device
* Built-in ladder hook
* Non-drip feature
* Made in the USA
* Ultra light - 37 Percent less weight than other guns
* Hassle-free reloading
* Positive control
* Smooth twin thrust friction feed flow control
* Auto flow stop
* Mechanical advantage 26:1
* Support straps, secure cartridge fit
* Built-in ladder hook
* Thumb activated instant pressure release
* Made in the USA
More by this Author
My husband and I unknowingly disturbed a Fire Ant nesting area. We ended up with Fire Ants crawling up our legs in masse.
Here is Grilled Steak all ready to eat. Side dishes include Roasted Potatoes and Steamed Broccoli. The top picture only has zero calorie buttery spray on the broccoli. That plate was for my husband. The bottom...
Are you suffering from thinning hair? Have you had a disease or condition that contributed to all of your hair falling out? Or have you gone through the type of chemo that made you start shedding hair? Finally, the...
No comments yet.