Baby Nursery Decor: Baby Room Decorating Tips For New Parents
Congratulations on your bundle of joy! Like all parents, you want to provide the very best for your baby and having a great nursery is the perfect place to start. A problem most people face is not having enough money to design an extravagant or elegant baby nursery. This article will give you some great tips for choosing a color scheme, baby room "must haves," and some ideas for designing the nursery walls.
Baby Nursery Decor: Colors
The first step in designing baby's nursery is deciding what colors will be used. Color is the easiest way to set the mood for your nursery and is generally the most inexpensive way to transform any room.
Traditionally, the color pink was the set color for girls and blue was for boys, but times have changed. Now there is more freedom when picking colors for your babys nursery. Don’t go overboard though as some colors have been known to overstimulate babies causing them to be overly tired or abnormally cranky. For example, some experts say to leave out the color red when decorating your babys room or to use the color sparingly, such as an accent color.
Your baby is being introduced to a whole new world; using soothing colors will help ease baby's transition. Try sticking to calming, cool colors such as buttercup yellow, sky blues, or relaxing greens to keep your baby happy and relaxed.
Baby Nursery Decor: Walls
Next on our list is deciding on baby nursery wall decor. There are many possibilities for designing your nursery walls. Paint, wallpaper, and even wall stickers are just three of many things you can use when decorating baby's bedroom.
Nursery Home Decor: Peaceful Purple Nursery
Baby Nursery Decor: Paint
Baby nursery decorations can really add up in price fast. Paint is an inexpensive way to change the look of the room and lets you have more creative freedom. When selecting paint for a baby’s room it is always a wise decision to get a “washable” paint. Washable paint is more durable and allows you to wash off dirty hand (or foot) prints later down the line without washing off the paint in the process.
I’m all for encouraging creativity in children and find that chalkboard paint is a wonderful way to get your child’s creative side blossoming at a young age. Chalk board paint can be purchased at your local hardware store or online. The store bought chalkboard paint only comes in green and black, but there is a way to make chalkboard paint yourself which can be customized to match your nursery color scheme. Then you can paint an entire wall with chalkboard paint or simply designate an area for creativity.
Yellow Baby Nursery Decor Idea
Home Nursery Decor: Pink Baby Nursery
Baby Nursery Decor "Must Haves"
- The biggest tip I would share is to start early! It's easy to put off the decorating until right before baby gets here, but that can sometimes backfire. Sometimes babies come early or items that should delivered on time get put on backorder or show up damaged...In other words, life happens! Taking care of the decorating in advance will ensure that things are in place before baby arrives.
- Flexible lighting in your babys room is a must! At times you will find yourself needing the room to be bright, such as when changing baby or looking for that cute outfit your mom bought your new bundle of joy. Other times, such as when you're rocking the baby to sleep you will want a much dimmer light. There are are a couple ways to do this. You can install dimmer switches in the nursery. These types of switches are relatively inexpensive and easy to install. Another way is to keep the regular overhead lights and buy lamps that can be turned on for dimmer light.
- Another must have for your babys' room is STORAGE! For such tiny little things, babys' rack up lots of stuff in a little bit of time. There is nothing worse that struggling to find something that you need after a long night of feedings. Closet organizers are a great investment and are available in most department stores or you can buy online. If you are looking to spend less, consider under the crib storage bins. These are great for organizing, affordable, and can be stored away and unseen.
- Invest in items that are made of washable materials. Bypass items that say "spot clean only." Babies are messy, they spit up and sometimes worse. If you buy things that cannot be washed in the washer, you will live to regret it. You're a new parent, you need things that you can wash and go.
- Don't forget to make the nursery personal. Putting family pictures in your babys' nursery can make the place seem more homey and can also help baby to begin recognizing the people that surround her so frequently.
Wallpaper Ideas For Decorating Babys' Nursery
Baby Nursery Decor: Wallpaper
Another way to decorate your nursery walls is with wallpaper. There are many different themes to choose from. Two of my favorites include lady bugs for girls and cowboys for boys. When choosing to wallpaper the room, cheap is not always the best route to take. More than likely, baby will be in this room for many years. When deciding on wallpaper it’s best to ask yourself a few important questions. Do you plan on living in this house for awhile? How long will it be before I change this decor? Will this wallpaper theme grow with baby? Asking similar questions will help you decide how much to invest in wallpaper.
Wallpaper has a cost benefit as well. If you are on a limited budget, it’s probably important to cut costs as much as possible. Instead of wallpapering baby's entire room, pick one wall in the room to apply wallpaper. This will act as an accent wall. Or try using the wallpaper as a border along the walls of the nursery.
Baby Nursery Decor: Wall Stickers and Wall Decals
Another ever growing wall decorating technique is using wall stickers. These stickers can help transform your bare walls into a fun and stylish paradise. Using wall stickers (also known as wall decals) is a simple way to add a lot of design without investing too much money. This is a great cost saving alternative to wallpapering the whole room. The decals come in all shapes and sizes, from farm animals to delicate fireflies. The best wall stickers are made from high quality vinyl and are removable, so keep this in mind while shopping.
Again, congratulations on your upcoming bundle of joy. I hope that I have provided you with some useful money saving ideas and tips for choosing a color scheme and designing nursery walls. Now you should have a great head start for providing the very best nursery for baby.
Beautiful Baby Nursery Decor Ideas
- Decorating Your Baby Nursery - A Step-By-Step Guide
First off congratulations! Having a baby is an exciting time. That said many new parents are overwhelmed with all there is to do when trying to decorate a baby nursery. Questions like "Should I pick the room color or crib bedding set first?" and...
- Baby Girl Nursery Decor Ideas
Ideas for creating the ideal nursery decor for your baby girl.
- Baby Nursery Themes
Parents want different things from their nurseries, and that often means a baby nursery theme that accomplishes a particular job. That job may be to provide a pretty decor to a room that you and your baby will spend a lot of time in. It may be to...
- Letter Craft Decor Ideas for a Baby Nursery
This article is a round up of letter craft decor ideas. Many of these tutorials and projects are designed for a baby nursery although they are certainly not limited to that.
More by this Author
Planning a wedding is tough. There's so much to consider when selecting wedding decor for your big day. Here are a few tips and theme ideas for your indoor or outdoor wedding.
If you're planning on buying oak furniture, than this is a must read. Oak furniture is an expensive investment, make sure you know what to look for, take a look at this must read oak furniture guide
Outdoor spaces are a cornerstone to family and social gatherings. Patio covers add life to your boring backyard and make the area a great place to hang out. Learn more about covers for patios.
No comments yet.