Basic Feng Shui: Tips To Use Today
This article builds on my introduction to feng shui with specific decorating tips in three categories. These tips are easy and mostly free or cheap to apply.
1. Purify the Air
Clean air is essential to manifesting and maintaining chi or good energy. Here are three ways to clean the air in your home:
- Decorate with air-purifying plants. Plants can remove benzene, formaldehyde and other toxins from your indoor environment. Some top air-purifying plants include Boston ferns, bamboo palms, peace lilies, mums and Gerbera daisies.
- Open your windows to promote air circulation.
- If the outdoor air is polluted or full of natural allergens, use a professional air purifier. Your health will improve, you'll need to dust less frequently, and you'll improve your home's energy.
2. Capture the Light
You can also use full-spectrum light bulbs to promote a harmonious environment. These mimic natural sunlight. They’re not only good for feng shui, they may also help combat seasonal depression in areas of the world with little sunlight.
Another option: Use colored light bulbs in strategic ways. If your bagua suggests that some area of your home needs more red, for example, you could try adding a soft pink or red bulb.
This video gives more tips about feng shui and lighting:
Feng Shui and Lighting
3. Hold the Chi
Once you’ve attracted chi, don’t let it slip away! For one thing, keep your toilet lid down. Keeping it up has gross health implications because microscopic bits can fly high with a flush. But I digress... From a feng shui perspective, an open toilet is an opportunity for wealth and general chi to drain away.
For the same reason, it’s a good idea to keep river rocks over your shower drain. This will let water drain away while symbolically retaining your accumulated chi.
In conclusion, keep your air pure, welcome the sunlight and don't let chi drain away.
Here are more decorating resources inspired by feng shui.
Recommended for You
- An Introduction to Feng Shui Decorating
This beginner's guide to feng shui decorating looks at painting your front door, clearing clutter and using an energy map.
- Feng Shui to Enhance Love and Romance in Marriage Life
This article looks at furniture placement and other elements of feng shui for romance.
- Seven Tips for Decorating a Studio Apartment
Read this article for seven great tips about decorating a studio apartment. Pretty pictures are provided to inspire you.
More by this Author
Purple potatoes, salty sea beans, a crazed cauliflower... Get great recipes that use unusual vegetables.
Learn how to make candles using recycled containers or professional candle molds. Read this article for a free step-by-step guide and great candlemaking tips.
This beginner's guide to feng shui decorating looks at painting your front door & using a "bagua" or energy map of your home. Get easy feng shui tips without all the esoteric underpinnings. Links for...