Benefits of Air Duct Cleaning
Every home or office has a series of air ducts that work to get the air from place to place. These ducts are typically unobtrusive, and often only noticed if they are not working properly – or perhaps get in the way of a specific furniture arrangement. However, though they are typically inconspicuous, it doesn’t mean they should be forgotten. Rather, it is vital that you plan for air duct cleaning to be done at least once a year.
Why is Air Duct Cleaning Important?
If you don’t think it is necessary to plan for air duct cleaning, then consider these facts:
- One out of every six people who suffer from allergies does so because of the direct relationship to the fungi and bacteria in the air duct systems.
- The elderly, asthmatics and people with respiratory problems, such as allergies and lung diseases, are more sensitive to pollutants.
- Most fiberglass furnace filters are only 7% effective in stopping dirt, dust, pollen, etc.
- 50% of all illnesses are either caused or aggravated by polluted indoor air.
- Air pollution contributes to lung disease, which claims close to 361,000 lives in America every year and is the third-leading cause of death in the United States.
- The U.S. Environmental Protection Agency ranks poor indoor air quality among the top five environmental risks to public health.
These facts alone are enough to convince the average homeowner of the need to have their air ducts cleaned on an annual basis. However, there are other factors that can cause a home’s air duct system to need cleaning more often. These factors and instances include:
A household where there are smokers.
- Households with pets that shed large amounts of hair or are known for producing more dander.
- Residents with allergies – especially asthma, COPD, or respiratory infections – who would benefit from cleaner air.
- In situations where there has been water damage, which can cause mold or bacteria to build up.
- After renovations or home remodeling
- Prior to moving into a new home
Air duct cleaning is not just something to think about doing in order to feel better – though that is certainly a good reason to do it. It is a way to save money, too! Research by the U. S. EPA has found that cleaning the air duct system of a building will result in an HVAC system that is more efficient, less likely to break down, have a longer lifespan and typically will work better than a dirty HVQAC system. Consider this -
- 90% of heating and cooling system failures are caused by dust and dirt.
- One millimeter of dirt on a heating or cooling coil can decrease its efficiency up to 21%.
Cleaning the air ducts in your home or business is just smart. And, better yet, you don’t have to do it yourself. Many companies have the equipment needed to ensure that your air ducts are properly cleaned. So, do your lungs and your energy cost budget a favor and talk to a local HVAC company such as Metro Cleaning Services in Minnesota about scheduling an air duct cleaning today.
Many websites provide additional information on the topic of air duct cleaning. One such site worth visiting is Metro Cleaning Services.
Janet Slagell independently authors articles for WebDrafter.com, Inc. for search engine marketing. The views and opinions expressed in this article are those solely of the author, and not of any other person, company or organization. No guarantee or warranty, express or implied, is made regarding the accuracy, fitness, or use of the content herein.
More by this Author
No comments yet.