Black Countertops – Trendy or Too Dramatic
Black countertops will be a hot trend for kitchens this year according to the Zillow Digs 2014 Home Design Trend Report. If you’re thinking about making some updates to your kitchen, black countertops may be just what you need – they can make your kitchen so stylish, sophisticated and bold that it will widen eyes and drop jaws.
Though black countertops in the kitchen may seem like a dramatic choice, it really isn’t, provided that you know what countertops to choose and how to balance them without your kitchen getting too dark.
The black countertops to consider this year are quartz or granite countertops. Forget about low-quality materials prone to scratches and stains and discoloring. Black granite countertops are your best choice, being not only stunningly beautiful because of their natural stone texture and ability to take a high polish, but also durable, able to resist damage and scratches. Quartz is a great alternative too, providing excellent stain and scratch resistance and requiring little maintenance.
- Kitchen Countertop Designs, Ideas, & Pictures
Discover options for kitchen countertop materials with design tips from the pros.
- Granite Countertops: General Care and Maintenance
Tips for care and maintenance that will keep your countertop looking as new as the day we installed it. Learn how to protect your countertop from daily wear-and-tear and other environmental factors.
- 2014 Top Kitchen Trends
Want to do some kitchen improvements this year, but don’t know where to start? No worries, here are the hottest kitchen trends for 2014 according to Zillow
Benefits of Black Quartz and Granite Countertops
Black countertops look fabulous, but that’s not the only advantage:
- Durable - Resistant to stains, scratches and damage, much more so than marble or laminate countertops. Moreover, because of their dark hue, damage and stains are less visible on them than on light-colored counters.
- Bold and Useful – they are a beautiful and strong statement in your kitchen for you to enjoy as well as your guests to admire when gathering in the kitchen, while also providing the function of a workspace for your cooking and baking.
- Longevity – Natural stone countertops, especially granite, last decades if not a lifetime.
- Increasing the value of your kitchen and of your home.
Black Countertops Design Ideas
Before buying black countertops you need to consider what you can do to add contrast or lighten up the kitchen. You can of course go all dark – dark cabinets, dark countertops, dark floors and walls, but not many people enjoy that much dark in a space they spend so much time in.
An all-dark kitchen can look fantastic, but unless it’s spacious, carefully designed, and has proper illumination, it can feel small and gloomy. A more sensible option is to mix colors, to balance black countertops with white or light colored cabinets. Or you can also contrast the black by only using it on your island and contrasting with lighter countertops everywhere else.
Other ideas for making black countertops work for you:
- Pair black countertops with white or stainless-steel appliances.
- Brighten up the room with white or light-colored window treatments, rugs, or dinnerware.
- Try black granite with white flecks, to recreate a look popular in the ‘20.
- Add some ‘clean’ colors like white or soft grays.
- Contrast the black counters with white or light wood glass-door cabinets and open-shelves, both of which are hot kitchen trends this year.
In the end, black countertops can be a terrific addition to your kitchen, but make sure you pair and contrast them using the ideas above.
More by this Author
Most people don't know it yet, and many actually take it for granted, but the most effective tactic to make their home more comfortable lies just above their heads. When checking out a home, we ask about the location...
With the many different kinds of stone countertops available on the market there is little wonder that it can sometimes be confusing deciding which countertop you wish to have installed in your home. A stone known as...
The Kitchen is an important room in most homes, it’s where families cook and eat together. When considering a new kitchen layout it’s important to understand the pros and cons of each.