Bottom Freezer Refrigerator - Pros and Cons
If you are in the market for a new refrigerator, chances are you will choose a bottom freezer refrigerator. Every major brand features a bottom freezer refrigerator now and the choices sometimes seem to be endless. You can choose between a one door refrigerator with a swing door freezer at the bottom, a two door (or French door) refrigerator with a pull-out freezer drawer on the bottom, or a one door refrigerator with a pull-out freezer drawer on the bottom. Then you can choose which finish you would like; either stainless steel or paint.
Whichever bottom freezer refrigerator you choose, make sure it matches your lifestyle. If you use your freezer every day you might as well settle for a regular refrigerator with the freezer at the top. However, if you spend all day long bending trying to see what edible food remains in the bottom of your fridge, it might be better if you invest in a new bottom freezer refrigerator.
Pros of Buying a Bottom Freezer Refrigerator
- There is generally more storage in the bottom freezer
- A bottom freezer is more convenient if you don’t use the freezer more often than the rest of the fridge
- Bottom freezer refrigerators are more energy efficient. Since warm air rises, the top freezer refrigerator uses more power to keep the temperature cooler
- The storage areas you use most often are at eye level; you can quickly see exactly what you have in the refrigerator
- The fridge part often has different compartments with different temperatures for dairy, vegetables and drinks
Cons of Buying a Bottom Freezer Refrigerator
- A bottom freezer refrigerator is usually more expensive than a top freezer refrigerator
- There is more bending and a swing door bottom freezer is hard to access. People with bad backs are better to stick with a regular top freezer refrigerator
- Higher repair rate. For some reason bottom freezer refrigerators break down more often
- There is less choice of refrigerators. There seem to be fewer choices in the finish of bottom freezer refrigerators
Types of Bottom Freezer Refrigerators
Freezer at bottom has a swing door, only one door on top
Freezer at bottom is a pull-out drawer, only one door on top
Freezer at bottom is a pull-out drawer, two doors (French) on top
Bottom Freezer Refrigerator Finishes
White or other paint colors
Manufacturers of Bottom Freezer Refrigerators
More by this Author
A cherry dining table is a great investment for the home. Not only is it attractive, it is also durable.
- EDITOR'S CHOICE14
How to clean windows properly is one of the most asked questions. There are many products manufactured for cleaning windows but natural products that will not hurt the environment are best.
A top 10 list of cartoon characters will always be subjective. Cartoons today are not what they used to be and I fondly remember the characters of my childhood.