Create a Vintage Look with Old Light Fixtures and Switches
Vintage 1960's Light Fixture
The old saying that, "everything eventually comes back into style" is so true, especially with that of home décor.
What was once considered old and outdated, is coming back around and considered "shabby chic" or "vintage".
We recently purchased an older ranch home that was built in 1965. The wallpaper and some of the bathroom fixtures were outdated and needed to be replaced, including the pink tub and tiles.
However, we found that a lot of the old lighting fixtures, switch plates, and outlet plates had a nice vintage feel to them without paying the "new vintage" price.
Vintage Light FixturesClick thumbnail to view full-size
Updating Existing Vintage Lighting
Before you decide to pitch the old light fixtures in your home, try updating them first.
Some of the best light fixtures have "good bones" or great ornamental structure but the light shade covers are dingy, dirty, or outdated.
All you need to do to modernize or update your vintage light fixtures, is to simply switch out the glass light shade covers.
Many companies specialize in reproductions of vintage looking glass light and lamp shades, such as the House of Antique Hardware.
There you can find hundreds of items to choose from, including light switches, switch plates, glass panels, light shades, and much more.
Vintage Light Switch Plate CoversClick thumbnail to view full-size
Vintage Light Switch Plates and Outlet Covers
Another way to add a vintage look to your home décor, is by changing out the standard plasitc white/ivory light switch plates and outlet covers.
Create an antique look with Victorian style outlet push button switches, or a vintage bungalow look with cottage style light switch plates.
Where to find Vintage Décor
You don't have to pay top dollar for vintage décor, with a little searching you can find great pieces for a fraction of the price. Here a few places to check for vintage décor finds:
- Garage sales and estate sales - know your neighborhood, choose older neighborhoods rather than newer subdivisions. They are more likely to have older vintage items for sale
- Contractors and house flippers - check with anyone who remodels homes or purchases houses to flip. Often they will throw out the items during demo and you can usually get the items for free of for bottom dollar prices.
- Habitat for Humanity - sometimes will have their own stores of fixtures, lumber, hardware, etc..
- Swap Meets - local swam meets are a great place to find vintage fixtures and hardware
Styles of Vintage Light Fixtures and Hardware
There are too many types of vintage décor to list in this article, but here are a few of the most popular styles:
- Victorian décor is typically from the time period of 1830's to 1900 and is very ornate and ornamental.
- Art Nouveau was popular towards the end of the Victorian era and is characterized by ornate scrollwork around the fixtures.
- Craftsman style décor is from the 1930s and was considered kind of the anti-victorian style because of its classic simple lines.
Vintage Décor Links
- Elements of Victorian Décor
If you live in a Victorian home or love Victorian style - here are suggestions how to integrate the old with the new.
- Redecorating Your Kitchen in Retro '50s Rockabilly S...
What about redesigning your kitchen in retro 1950s style? You could have a rockin' red and aqua atomic kitchen...or perhaps even a mid-century yellow & black kitchen? You can make your vintage style kitchen dreams come true...with a little bit o
- Milwaukee Bungalows: Craftsman Style Homes
Learn about the arts and crafts or craftsman style Milwaukee Bungalows and their characteristics and features.
More by this Author
What are the different types of potatoes? Yukon Gold Potatoes, Fingerling Potatoes, All Blue Potatoes, Red Sangria Potato. Find out about all the different varieties of potatoes from Yukon Gold and Purple Viking, to the...
Check out some of the wackiest and craziest toilet designs in the world. From flowers, to buddhas, to lips (yes lips)! Some of the funniest urinals from around the world.
What are the different cuts of beef? What are the different types of these cuts? How do I cook chuck roast? Answers to these questions and more.