DIY: Creative Ideas for Common Items
Do it Yourself Creative Ideas for Common Items
Here are some creative ways to use common household items from A - Z:
- Aluminum Foil can be used for a Sun box by simply removing the top and one side from a cardboard box; line the other three sides with foil. Place plants in the box and set it near a window the foil will reflect light, helping the stems to grow straight instead of bent towards the sun.
- Banana Peels can be used as Emergency shoe shine just rub your leather shoes with the inside of the peel; then clean and buff with a paper towel or napkin.
- Cans make great outdoor candle holders. All you have to do is remove the label from an empty can, punch holes in the sides, add your candle and light. To help control bugs use Citronella candles.
- Doors can be used to make a folding screen just hinge three doors together and decorate. You can paint them or cover them with wallpaper.
- Egg Shells can be used to create Mosaic flower pots. Color the egg shells inside and out a variety of colors then crush them in a paper bag. Draw a picture on cloth or paper or Mosaic the entire flower pot. Spread slightly diluted white glue over it; sprinkle appropriate colored shells over the glue and protect with several coats of acrylic sealer.
- Flowers - Dry your garden's prettiest flowers, wrap clusters of three to five stems with wire, and attach to a straw wreath.
- Greeting Cards can be used as photo frames. Cut out a rectangle, oval, or circle 1/4 inch smaller on all sides than your picture tape the picture inside and close.
- Hammocks are great as Garden Canopies make a simple frame and attach a flattened hammock at the top.
- Ice Cream Sticks make wonderful garden markers. All you have to do is write the name of the plant and date with indelible ink and insert it into the soil.
- Jars are good as terrariums. Place a 1 inch layer of pebbles and charcoal chips and three inches of sterilized potting mix in a large jar. After planting moisten slightly and place in a bright spot, uncovered for a day, then cover.
- Keys(old) can be slid into the hems of drapes to make them hang properly.
- Ladders have so many possibilities but my favorite is a trellis. Use old ladders, preferably one with rounded rungs, to support climbing vines. Stand two facing each other and span a third across the top to make an arbor.
- Mirrors will make your glassware sparkle using them as shelves in your China Cabinet. Just place them on the bottom and back o0f your shelving to create a whole new look.
- Newspapers are great as mulch just spread them out flat or tear them into strips and place around plants. Water thoroughly to hold in place; if necessary secure the papers with a few rocks.
- Olive Oil is great for dry hair repair. Heat oil until warm, then apply libe3rally to hair. Cover with plastic bag, then wrap in a towel for 45 minutes, shampoo, rinse thoroughly.
- Photos are an awesome idea for wall hangings. Mount an assortment of various prints on a clean window shade with rubber cement.
- Quilts as place mats are a welcome change. Use an old mat as a pattern, then trim the edges with bias tape.
- Refrigerators can be converted into dryers by suspending the rack from the garage ceiling with a rope and hang laundry on it to dry.
- Shoe Polish can be used as Wood stain by mixing two or more colors together to get just the right shade and apply with a dry cloth.
- Tea can be used as a Hair brightener for golden highlights, rinse red or brown hair with orange pekoe tea.
- Umbrellas can be used as picnic covers. Just remove the handle from an old umbrella and use the open frame to shield the dishes.
- Venetian blinds are great as room dividers. Hang a row of blinds from a board attached to the ceiling to set off a dining area or den in your living room. Or, if you youngsters share a bedroom, use the blinds to partition a private area for each one.
- Wastebaskets can double as plant holders or magazine racks.
- Yo Yos make great mobiles. Hang different colored and shaped yo yos at varying lengths from sections of a straightened wire hanger; suspend from the ceiling with mono filament.
- Zippers are great as valuable securers simply sew a zipper across the inside pocket of a coat or jacket to keep your passport, traveler's checks, and other valuables safe.
More by this Author
Write your names in the sand. With the economy the way it is, most people do not have the money to spend to go all out for date night. You can't let that stop you! Besides, who wants their love life to...
Men just like getting laid, huh? If you believe that, you may want to think again! The want good and exciting, awesome sex just like we do. It's not just up to the man to make it happen. Ladies, you too can become the...
Sex life stuck in a rut? Looking for some inventive ways to put some spice back into sex again with your partner? One way to do that is by changing up where you have sex!