Designing Your Kitchen Remodel with Marble Countertops
Remodeling a kitchen with marble countertops is easy when you plan things ahead. Everyone always wants to start their planning with the details like the style of cabinets or the color of tiles but the more important decision you should focus on first is the layout of your kitchen. The simple step-by-step guide below will help you get started. But before you begin, grab a pencil and some paper, so you can do a basic sketch of your new kitchen layout.
1. Understand your needs.
How much cooking do you plan to do in your remodeled kitchen? Does your family give you a hand with cooking or do you work primarily on your own? Also, do your family and friends like to hang out in the kitchen? Once you know the answer to these questions you are ready to move to the next step.
- Online Design Tool for Kitchen
Online design tool for renovating/ designing your kitchen
- Top Picks for Kitchen Countertops
There are lots of options on the market for kitchen countertops. Our list of top picks gives the pros and cons of the top 10 choices so that you can make an educated choice when you remodel your kitchen.
- Kitchen Countertop Ideas
Amanzi Granite's Pinterest board, an online pinboard on design ideas for Kitchen Countertops
2. Choose the right kitchen layout.
Base your choice first on the desired functionality and utility of your kitchen. You have to find a layout that works with the given space and your needs.
- The one wall layout is great for small kitchens where there is one member of the family who does most of the cooking.
- The galley layout, in which cabinets, appliances and marble countertops are arranged in two rows usually along two parallel walls, is a great choice is you have a little more space making it easier for more than one person to prepare the food.
- L-shaped and U-shaped layouts offer plenty of space for appliances and countertops and tend to be highly social.
- The island layout, which usually features a decent sized countertop in the middle, supported by cabinets and appliances, is probably the most social of all kitchens, creating a great gathering place for friends and family.
3. Create a convenient work triangle.
The work triangle refers to the area between the three most used kitchen components, the refrigerator, stove, and sink. These components are best suited to be near each other in your kitchen making food prep significantly easier. So be strategic with the placement of these 3 items, for example, if you have an island in your kitchen you don’t want to have to walk all the way around it every time you need to grab something out of the fridge while you are at the stove cooking. They don’t have to be directly beside each other as you will need some counter space for prepping the food but you need to think through the layout carefully so you can enjoy cooking in your kitchen.
4. Fit in an extra marble countertop if the space allows it.
You never know when you’ll need extra countertop space in the kitchen, whether for your own use, or for a second cook or an assistant. The U-shaped and L-shaped kitchen layouts offer plenty of countertop space for marble countertops, but countertop space is definitely more limited with a one-line layout.
5. Plan the other details too.
Once you decide upon the layout, settling details like the color and style of your cabinets, or the color of your home appliances will be easy enough.
Regardless of the layout and cabinet style you choose, marble countertops are an excellent choice for your kitchen, as they will make it not only more functional, but also more beautiful. And since they never go out of style, you most likely won’t be replacing them anytime soon.
More by this Author
Of the many stones available for countertops in your home, onyx is probably the most expensive but one of the most beautiful. This type of stone comes in many different colors and shades, all of which are capable of...
countertop There are many different types of stone countertops that are offered on the market. One of the most popular nowadays is limestone. In the past couple of years, limestone has become an increasingly popular...
When it comes to self storage, be creative. Many cost effective and eye-catching projects can provide both a decorative look and additional storage for your home.