Different Uses of Salt
It was very difficult to obtain salt in the early civilization. They considered salt stock as the basis of their development . That's why salt was:
- used as a preservative to food. They could preserve seasonal food and travel long distances without hunger.
- used in trading system which was actually the most valued item.
- used as a salary to Roman soldiers.
- used as the basis of power and riches of great cities
At this time, salt became cheaper due to large scale of production of different industrial processing by solar evaporation of sea water and salt water brine or mining. Therefore, this is how the new ages used the salt.
- Salt as Preservative to food such as dried fish or meat, pickled fruit. Dried fish:The delicious and clean dried fish are usually dried by the fisherman on board in their boat or ship. The fish should be cleaned by removing its head, gills, guts, back and ribs, then salted and dried. Traditionally the fish was sun-dried onshore on the rocks or wooden frames, but today it is mainly dried indoors by electrical heating. It is sold whole or in portions, with or without bones. Shrimp paste: Small shrimp are rinsed and drained before being dried. Drying can be done on plastic mats on the ground in the sun, on metal beds on low stilts, or using other methods. After several days, the shrimp-salt mixture will darken and turn into a thick pulp. If the shrimp used to produce the paste were small, it is ready to be served as soon as the individual shrimp have decayed beyond recognition. If the shrimp are larger, fermentation will take longer and the pulp will be ground to provide a smoother consistency. The fermentation/grinding process is usually repeated several times until the paste fully matures. The paste is then dried and cut into bricks by the villagers to be sold. Dried shrimp paste does not require refrigeration. Fruit pickling: Ginger Lily is good for pickling which is one of Filipino's appetizers. You have to boil the glass jar to make sure it is free from bacteria. Then put the wash ginger lily in it, add two tablespoon of salt. Make sure to cover it tightly. You can start to eat it after 24 hours and will last until 2 weeks.
- Salt keeps the ice from melting fast. Mixing salt with ice accelerates the melting of ice causing an endothermic solution gathering heat from the environment. It lowers the temperature. Ten pounds of ice and ten pounds of salt were used by Fahrenheit to arrive at the temperature now used as zero degrees Fahrenheit.
- Salt helps clean different stains and grease on dishes, cookware and sink drainage in the kitchen. Mix an equal quantities of salt and hot water pour it down to a drainage to get rid the nasty smells and dissolve grease, plus help slow future buildup. Pour rock salt onto greasy cookware, let it soak for 5 minutes before scouring to help cut through the grease.
- Salt is an alternative toothpaste and a good relief to toothache. Put a pinch of salt onto your toothbrush. Brush your teeth and gums slowly, then gargle with lukewarm water.
- Gargle salt to stop bleeding gums. Dissolve around a quarter teaspoon of salt into the equivalent of half a mouthful of warm water. Swish it around your mouth and gargle.
- Salt can unclog pores of the skin and free scalp from dandruff. Mixing salt with essential oils or olive oil, scrub it on our skin or scalp slowly. For skin, you can was it with lukewarm water and apply moisturizer later, while on scalp, you should shampoo your hair later and wash it thoroughly.
- Salt as the nose saline used to moisturize stuffy nose of the baby. Mixing non-iodized salt to warm water. The ratio of 1/2 tbsp. of salt to 8 ounces of water, use a dropper or a container with dropper. Put 1-2 drops on your baby's nose to soften the mucus.
- Salt as recipe to make a homemade candle. First is to make a wick, soak the paper or cotton in the salt to keep it from burning fast. You can use any small jar or glass cups. Pour salt in it, then the scented oil, or any kitchen oil even if used will do.
Though consuming salt more than required amount could really be harmful to us, we then look at the other way of how salt could be so useful, that we should always have salt in our kitchen.
Procedure to Dry Marine Fish
More by this Author
I’m a new MOM to a 6 months old baby girl. Visiting the clinic or hospital to see her pediatrician is very important. And making sure that she will be immune to serious diseases as she grows is by vaccination....
I had Pregnancy Rash: Pruritic urticarial papules and plaques of pregnancy (PUPPP) when i was pregnant. What things i did to feel better?