Disney Cars Bedding: How To Decorate a Cars McQueen Themed Bedroom That Transitions a Bed from Toddler to Teen
Decorating kids' bedrooms using their favorite cartoon characters as a theme is fun and easy, but if you do a little advanced planning, you can design a bedroom that grows along with your child and does not need frequent repainting or redecorating. Let’s discover how to decorate a kid’s bedroom that can grow with your child using Disney cars bedding that you either purchase or make yourself.
About Cars the Disney/Pixar Movie
“Cars” introduces one of Disney’s most endearing new animated stars. Lightning McQueen is a snazzy, revved up rookie racecar with a king-sized attitude and ego.
Determined to win the Piston Cup and unseated his rival – the King – for the Dinoco sponsorship, McQueen runs into a serious detour on his way to the big race but learns a huge lesson about friendship, responsibility, and good sportsmanship. Along with his new friends Mater, Sally, Doc and the other cars of Radiator Springs, he roars to the finish line in true hero style.
Disney Cars Bedding
When shopping for bedding with a Disney Cars theme, you’ll find that there is a wide selection of merchandise from which to choose like:
- Twin and full size sheet sets
- Pillow shams
- Body pillows
- Cuddle pillows
- Curtain valances
- Slumber bags
- Light up fleece blankets
- Sweet Thang’s Storybook Pillow
Depending on your budget, you can choose just sheets and a comforter or go all out with one of each available item. Let the extent of your child’s passion for Lightning McQueen and the other characters be your guide.
Setting the Stage
Paint freshens up a room instantly and sets the tone for any other decoration – like bedding – but painting is expensive and time consuming.
If you are decorating a room for a first child (with no idea of what sex future children might be), it’s wise to go with a gender neutral color scheme that can be transformed in a flash for future occupants.
Choose neutrals like white, ivory, taupe, pale yellow, and green for walls and ceilings. Add pops of primary colors – red, blue, and lemony yellow – in the bedding, accent pillows, curtains, and other décor. Focus on elements of the bedding like Lightning McQueen’s signature red or Sally’s blue and use those colors to give the room a completed look . Simple one or two color schemes like this transition well through childhood into the teens.
A closet door or accent wall is the perfect way to continue the Cars theme and tie the room together. Consider using a life-size poster of Lightning McQueen or Mater on the closet door or paint a freehand mural on the door.
If art is not your strong suit, contact a local high school or community college and offer to hire an aspiring art student to paint a mural. The price will be affordable and as a plus you will be helping the student perfect his craft.
Another easy decorating technique is stenciling or using wallpaper border. Use ready-made stencils or removable wall stickers. Prep the wall with a latex primer and use non-toxic paints for easy cover-up down the road.
Have your youngster decorate pages from a Cars coloring book however they please, and frame their work. Use the framed prints to decorate the room and add their individual personality to the décor.
Curtains, rugs, and even a Mater alarm clock are fun items to complete the look of a room.
Create Your Own Disney Cars Bedding Look
Get in touch with your creative side and make your own Cars bedding quickly and easily. Just follow these simple steps for success. You’ll need:
- One white cotton sheet set
- Blue marking pencil
- Two to three brown paper bags (cut open and flattened)
- Fabric markers
- Double-faced tape
- Coloring book with Cars character images or Cars movie coloring pages
- If the sheets are new, wash them first to remove any sizing from the fabric.
- Choose the images for your design and cut them out. You can use single images in a repeating pattern or create an entire scene using a variety of images.
- Stick the images to the sheet with double stick tape and trace around the outlines with the marking pencil. You can add features and details later with the fabric markers.
- Cover the work surface with the brown paper to avoid bleed-through. Lay the prepared sheet on the paper. Outline the images first, and then color them in completely with the fabric markers.
- You can decorate just the bottom sheet or both sheets or decorate the bottom sheet and just embellish the hem edge of the top sheet. Another option to save time and make this a quick project is to just decorate the pillowcases and personalize them with your child’s name.
- Let the designs dry for about 24 to 48 hours before using the bedding.
If you are not the crafty type, you might prefer to purchase a kit that contains everything you need to create your very own Disney Cars pillowcase. However, whether you decide to purchase Disney Cars bedding, make your own from scratch, or use a ready-made kit, the key is to have fun decorating your child’s bedroom in a fun theme that he will enjoy for years to come.
Better Homes and Gardens: Decorating Kids' Rooms Nurseries to Teen Retreats, Project Editor, Linda Hallam
Author's own experience decorating a child's bedroom in a Disney Cars bedding theme
© 2011 Donna Cosmato
More by this Author
Love watermelon but hate the seeds? Follow these five tips to grow seedless watermelons in your home garden successfully.
- 4Monster Truck Bedding: Where to Find the Best Buys For Decorating a Child's Bed in Big Wheel Truck Style
Does a monster truck fan live at your house? Here's how to decorate a bedroom to delight any big wheel truck fan's heart. As a plus, find out where to buy bedding you'll need.
Dog bladder stones are painful but not life-threatening. However, no pet owner wants a pet to suffer and wonders what to do. In this interview, Dr. Cathy Alinovi discusses treatment and care options.