White Fuzzy Mold In Basement or Something Else?

Fuzzy White Mold on Concrete?

Do you have a White Mold Problem?

If you have something similar to the picture on the right, it would be easy to assume that this could be white mold. However this white fuzzy mold in basement concrete is actually something else. I am not saying you don't have a white mold in the basement, I am just saying that chances of this being your mold problem is very slim.

For mold to grow it need a food source and in the case of white mold concrete is not that food. It actually need something organic.

If its not White Mold on Concrete then What is it?

It is very common for water to seep into basements through the wall or concrete floor. As the water seeps through the floor it brings in dissolved minerals like salt, lime, and calcium. As the water drys out it causes these minerals to crystallize. This will look like a white fuzzy mold in basement but its actually called Efflorescence.


Efflorescence is not harmful at all and possess no health risk.

Example of Efflorescence

Does this Mean You Don't Have White Mold In Basement?

No you still can have a white mold problem! If you see white mold growing on the wood floor joist, furniture, carpet or anything else that is organic then chances are it is white mold in Basement.

White Mold on Basement Sofa

Is White Mold Dangerous?

White mold is not a toxic mold. However it still can be harmful to your health and the health of your kids. White mold can cause allergy problems and also cause asthma attacks, bronchitis, pneumonia, chronic sinus infections, migraine headaches, chronic sore throats, skin rashes, exhaustion, and general malaise.

So, is white mold dangerous? Yes it can be so take it serious!

White Mold In Attic

Where else can White Mold Grow?

White mold growth is not limited to just the basement. You can have white Mold In Attic, and crawl space, You can also have it growing in the living area of your house like on your carpet, furniture, curtains, shoes, and clothing!

If you have it growing in the living area and on cloths. This may be happening due to high humidity levels in your home and if you get a dehumidifier that should lower the humidity levels and it might solve this problem.

If you have a Mold Problem Should You Clean it Yourself?

If you do have a white mold problem, yes you can clean it yourself and you should if the problem area is less than 9 square feet. If it's a lager area I recommend you call a mold remediation company to remove it properly and safely.

One thing to remember is that mold spores can spread very easily throughout the house. So, if you are unsure about how to clean it properly you can make the problem worse.

When cleaning any mold make sure you wear proper safety gear and this will include respirator or face mask, eye protection, rubber gloves, and possibly coveralls.

What can you use to Clean and Remove the white mold?

Well, I bet you think I am going to tell you to head to the hardware store and buy a bunch of different types of mold killers. Actually you might already have what you need in your home.

  • White vinegar - Fill a spray bottle with white distilled vinegar and spay directly on the moldy area and let set for about 1 hour. Then wipe clean with warm water and let fully dry!
  • Borax - Mix 1 cup of Borax for every one gallon of water. Next remove any loose mold spores with a vacuum cleaner that has a HEPA filtration system to keep from spreading. Use a scrub brush or scrub sponge or pad and the water borax solution scrub the mold off the affected area. Then clean up any excess mold particles and moisture and debris. Next, wipe off excess moisture again and there is no reason to rinse as the left behind borax solution will help keep mold from returning. Let surface dry completely.
  • Hydrogen Peroxide - Hydrogen Peroxide is already at 3% when you buy it at the store so no need to dilute. Pour it into a spray bottle and spray it directly on the moldy area to saturate the moldy area and let set for at-least ten minutes. Then scrub to remove the mold and mold stains. Repeat if you feel its needed. Then wipe clean to remove all the mold spores and then let dry completely.

I know I already said this but please make sure you wear your safety gear!


Poll

Where have you seen mold grow in your home?

See results without voting

No comments yet.

    Sign in or sign up and post using a HubPages Network account.

    0 of 8192 characters used
    Post Comment

    No HTML is allowed in comments, but URLs will be hyperlinked. Comments are not for promoting your articles or other sites.


    Click to Rate This Article
    working