Does Your Ductwork Need Some Work?
Homes today are so thoroughly insulated to ensure that during the winter, warm air is trapped inside and the cold air is kept out. But this does not mean that the air within our homes, circulated through the ducts, is the best we're getting for our buck when it comes to paying for heating services.
Many of us rely on a gas furnace and well-maintained ducts to provide us with the heat we need in the winter and the cool air we love during the summer. However, ducts can experience wear and tear over time,simply because they are being used throughout the day, every day of the year. Because of this abundance of use, this can reduce their efficiency of providing us with quality air. Some signs of malfunctioning ductwork are:
ñ Noises coming from the ducts, such as wheezing or rattling
ñ Rooms throughout the house are much hotter or colder by comparison
ñ The air seems overly moist
ñ Energy bills become unusually high
- Heating and Air Service
Air Treatment Inc leads the Greensboro area in innovation in energy efficient HVAC systems.
- Duct Sealing : ENERGY STAR
Improve Your Energy Efficiency at Home. Use our Home Improvement Toolbox to save money and help protect the environment without sacrificing comfort.
- How to Fix an Air Duct Rattle
How to Fix an Air Duct Rattle. Forced-air heating and cooling systems often make a kind of ticking and popping sound when you turn them on and off---noises caused by the natural expansion and contraction of the metal duct. A rattling sound, however,
Why should we take these signs so seriously? Some believe that these are minor problems that they can live with, but neglecting these problems for so long can lead to more hazardous effects from the air we are inhaling.
- By checking over the ductwork connected to the gas furnace for leaks to make sure that it is in working order, you can remedy the problem and ensure that you are getting exactly what you are paying for when it comes to your heating services. Costs of heating bills will be reduced, and that means more money in your pocket.
- Reducing the costs of your heating bills means you're using much less energy to keep your house warm or cool. This means that you are decreasing the amount of greenhouse gases are being released into the air by the burning of fossil fuels, which is the main cause of global warming.
- Ducts that are properly sealed will keep out moisture. Allowing moisture to get into the ductwork, combined with the warmth of the ducts and the low level of light within them creates the perfect breeding ground for mold. Some kinds of mold, when inhaled, can cause respiratory problems such as asthma or allergies.
- Well-sealed ducts also function to provide us with a quality of air free from dangerous chemicals and hazardous substances that may be in the air outside, such as pesticides or carbon monoxide. Inhalation of such substances can cause serious health problems and sometimes even death, in very extreme circumstances.
- Leaky ducts, other than releasing contaminants into the air, can cause a change in the air pressure of our homes and result in what are called backdrafts. This is where the air outside is pulled into the home through open areas, such as chimneys, because of the lower pressure of the air within the home. Especially in winter, this can lead to higher heating bills because of the need to compensate for this increased volume of cold air within the home.
A gas furnace and efficient ducts are the most important tools to keeping our homes feeling comfortable all year round. By reducing leaks and tears in ducts, we can establish a high quality of contaminant-free air, help the environment and keep more money in our pockets.
More by this Author
Miika Silfverberg When it comes to comfort, some desire just a little bit more out of their home. Installing a personal sauna can be the ultimate luxury item and, believe it or not, can be installed on a limited budget...
The Kitchen is an important room in most homes, it’s where families cook and eat together. When considering a new kitchen layout it’s important to understand the pros and cons of each.
Most people don't know it yet, and many actually take it for granted, but the most effective tactic to make their home more comfortable lies just above their heads. When checking out a home, we ask about the location...