Earth-friendly, Kids-friendly Crayons & Chalk | Plus, DIY Eggshells Sidewalk Chalk
As a teacher, I've observed some kids like to just stick these crayons, pencil and all into their mouth. I don't know about you but I'm always put off by the toxic smell that emits from some of the crayons that are out there even in popular school supplies and art store. There is always the tendencies that toxic residues from these products may find there way into our kids mouth. That's why I'm a supporter of parents buying kids-friendly, earth-friendly crayons, chalk and pencils for their kids.
Most parents do wonder about what kind of products their kids are exposed to in school. As much as we're trying to keep them safe, we can't always tell what our kids are going to do when we're not looking, or yet, when there are out in school, out of our care. It behoves us then as parents to surround our children with products that are not only safe for them, but also for the environment. Here are a few of those kids-friendly, earth-friendly crayons, and chalk:
Natural Organic Paint
There are arts and crafts paints out there that are made from fruits, vegetables, flowers and spices with natural food grade ingredients that are not only kids-friendly, but earth-friendly too. Glob's organic paint extracts is an example of these.
Glob paints are an all natural and non-toxic environmental safe products. They come in a .5 ounce jar (powdered form) set of 4 colors. Each jar makes up to 4 ounce of paint, all you have to do is add water to it, and your kids are ready to paint away! Available colors include Lemon Verbena, Blueberry, Pomegranate and Basil Green.
Another example of a kid-friendly, earth-friendly product, Soy crayons, as the name suggests, are made from a unique soybean oil formulation. These crayons are made from 100% renewable resources. They contain no paraffin wax, which makes them brighter, smoother. And that also means they will not flake as much as those crayons made of ordinary wax.
There are different varieties of these types of crayon out there. Two brand of notable mention, are, Clementine Art’s All-Natural Soy Crayons, and Prangs Crayons. They come in different shapes, such as, star shapes, rock-like shape, regular pencil shape and your kids are sure to have some fun with these crayons.
These crayons are certified to be non-toxic, and contains no lead. So you, as a parent can rest knowing they are safe.
Another great invention! Bee Wax Crayons are made of all natural and renewable waxes and pigments from a combination of plants and vegetable waxes and pure beeswax. Which means that they are kids-friendly, and earth-friendly. They come usually in a round, jumbo shape mould.
Bee Wax Crayons are highly pigmented, which means the colors are rich. They are sturdy, making it easy for little hands to hold, and are also petroleum free, yet amazingly smooth and creamy.
Now your child can have all the sidewalk fun of hop-scotch with these kid-friendly, earth-friendly sidewalk chalk made from all natural ingredients! These great products are totally safe for your little ones. They are made with an organic ingredient called, vegan. They contain no wheat, no sugar, no preservatives, and, no lead! These chalk come in a set of 5 chalks in pretty rainbow colors.
Now your little ones can decorate the sidewalk, have fun, and play safe. And if they should put their hands in their mouth or try to chew on the chalk, have no fear, these chalks are safe enough to eat, so lay your worries to rest. Be aware though, that this product is not intended as food, and children should be supervised when playing with it.
DIY Eggshell Sidewalk Chalk
Yes, eggshell chalk. Believe it or not, those eggshells that you tossed out in the garbage could be recycled for making Eco-friendly, kid-friendly non-toxic sidewalk chalk for your little ones. So, the next time you feel like Egg-Benedict or Omelet for breakfast, do not trash your eggshells, recycle them. Here's what to do.
Ingredients for Making Your Sidewalk Chalk
- 6 - 12 or more Eggshells, Brown, White
- 2 - 3 drops Any color Food Coloring, To Add Color To Your chalk
- 1 TBSP Flour, 1 tsp To Every Six Eggshells
- Sheet Paper/Paper Towel, For Rolling Mixture Into a Stick Shape
- 1 Blender or coffee grinder., For grinding eggshells into powder
Rate This Earth-Friendly Chalk Recipe
Instructions For Making Eggshells Chalk
- Clean out your eggshells, and leave to dry
- Once dry, grind eggshells into a fine powder usng a blender or coffee grinder.
- Mix eggshells with a teaspoon or two of flour (6 eggshells to a tsp. of flour. So for 12 eggshells, use 2 tsp. flour etc.)
- Mix one teaspoon of hot water into dry eggshell and flour mixture (If using food coloring, mix coloring into hot water before mising the hot water with the eggshell/flour mix). Stir mixture together. This should form a thick paste.
- Use the paper towel or any paper to roll paste into a stick shape and let dry and harden. Your chalk should be ready in a couple of hours depending on the diameter and temperature.
You Can Also Make Your Own Play-Dough At Home For Your Kids
The Benefit of Do-It-Yourself Chalk, Play-Dough
There is no doubt that do it yourself kids crafts are always fun to make. But, more than just fun, there are many advantages to making your very own kids crafts, play-dough, and chalk in your home. One very clear benefit is, you choose the ingredients.
- You, not some mega company who could care less about your kids health, get to decide what goes into that home-made chalk or play-dough.
- You know the ingredients in your child's play-dough, and that gives you the peace of mind. Even if the chalk or play-dough ends up in your kids mouth, since there's a likelihood that it will, you'll have no reason to panic, because you know that you've played it safe.
- You were instrumental in putting it together, and that gives you a sense of joy, and accomplishment that you are doing everything to keep you kids safe.
- And, one last thing. When you do dispose of it, you'll have no doubt that it's safe for the environment.
I'm a great fan of green products, and I'm always curious about what's out there as far as products that are safe to use around the home, and especially around kids. I've seen it all, products that claim to be kid-friendly, and earth-friendly, but may be questionable.
Just recently I received an email from some random company, I followed the link embedded in this email, and I was introduced to so many kids art products, some of which I've come across before. But what's interesting about this products is that a great number of them are made out of soy. Yes, soy!
A closer look at these products and I am convinced that not only are they safe for the environment, they are also safe for our kids. So parents, give your little ones a lifetime of fun. Help their imagination run wild by stocking up on natural, kids-friendly, earth-friendly products for school and playtime. Then sit back, and watch your little Picasso create wholesome wonders!
Do you love to write? Do you have a passion for sharing with others what you know? You can do that by signing up right here on hubpages. And guess what? You'll make some money doing it too. Writing, that is.
Author: Comfort Babatola - ©2013
More by this Author
DIY Decorating tips with breathtaking images on how to use the color coral in your home decor. Coral is the new pink!
Lime green, apple green, and yellow (vintage) decorating ideas for your home. Plus, how to use colors.
See how the 'Gele", an African head-wrap has been re-Invented, and learn how one man is making a living with the gele - See His 'How To Tie Gravity-Defying Gele' Video