5 Elements of Design in Interior Home Decoration
What really makes a house enchanting is the combination of the 5 elements of design and 6 principles of design useful in interior home decoration.
Design is the art of combining elements in a pleasing way. The 5 basic elements of design useful in interior decorating a house are space, shape, line, texture , and color. Each element has its unique characteristics but once put and mixed together, an attractive and creative outcome is produced, thus beautifying the home.
1. Line - Lines may be simple but they are capable of producing a design that can draw attention and stir emotions. Lines used in a room suggest various meanings. Vertical lines that go straight up and down suggest strength and stability. Horizontal lines suggest width in objects. Curved lines express gracefulness.
2. Texture -Texture appeals more to the touch than to the sight, but is both seen and felt. Using different textures in a room can add more interest and create a certain mood or ambience.
A room may appear warm and cozy by using soft and fuzzy surfaces. Smooth and silky surfaces can create a formal look.
3. Shape - Shape denotes form. Using different shapes of objects in a room can have an effect on its atmosphere. Curved shape of objects in a room creates a soft effect while rectangular or square shape of objects makes a room appear hard.
4. Space - A room can be made smaller or larger with the right use of space. Bright and light colors may make a room appear larger while dark and dull colors may make a room appear smaller. Furniture placed by the wall makes the room appear spacious. By dividing the space in different ways, a room can have an illusion of being large or small. . An illusion is the way you see things in a different perspective from the way it really is.
5. Color - Among all the elements of design, color is the easiest to notice. Colors have the greatest effect on the appearance of a room. They give life and personality to it.
Dark colors make a room seem smaller. Warm colors such as red, yellow, and orange can make a room appear bright, vibrant, and alive. Cool colors like blue, green, and purple can make a room seem cozy and restful.
More by this Author
Table setting style is the focus of any party where food is served. Tableware and setting plan depends on the event or occasion and it can be as important as the food you serve. The first step to do in putting together...
In interior home decoration,"6 Principles of Design"--unity, balance, contrast, emphasis, proportion, and rhythm--must be applied with the "5 Elements of Design" to achieve a beautiful home.
Through cattle-raising, agricultural by-products and wastes can be utilized by converting these into animal feeds. Likewise, marginal and idle lands can be made productive as forage production areas.