Lessons Learned From Watching HGTV
Can't Resist a Good Decorating Show?
Do you like watching Home and Garden Television (HGTV) but feel guilty that you are wasting time? Well, don't despair! It's not done in vain. You are probably learning more than you think, and when you are ready to decorate your home, it will all be stored up there somewhere in your brain. I know I've learned a lot from watching this network. How to make something out of nothing, how to make ugly into pretty. Here are the top ten things that I learned from watching the HGTV network shows. What have you learned?
Design Tips From HGTV!
How many shows do you watch on HGTV in a week?See results without voting
Design Tips From HGTV
- Almost any colour can work, as long as you accessorize around it. The decorator that is the best for this Jane Lockhart from Colour Confidential. She does amazing things with colours and really encourages us to paint from our hear, with colours that truly resonate.
- Wallpaper is in style again. It's just a nicer version of it. Wallpaper is an option again, and it's much less tacky than the 70's. Today's wallpaper is subtle and sophisticated. Wall paper can add texture and interest to your walls.
- Good flooring can completely transform a room. Flooring is NOT just an afterthought but it makes a huge difference in the look of the room. So, choose your flooring carefully, considering the overall feel of the room and other colours you will be using.
- Paint your ceiling and it makes it part of the room. Ceilings don't have to be white anymore. A coloured ceiling can really add some pizzazz. Just be sure to do it right so you don't splash up your flooring.
- Cleaning out the clutter in a room gives you way more options. A lot of times what makes a room look ugly is not the decorating style; it the clutter.
- A poorly done place is often masking other life problems. Doing your place over really will help you feel better about the rest of your life.
- There is almost no decorating problem that cannot be solved. You just need creativity, some elbow grease and at least a bit of a budget.
- Wall colour is easy to fix. When choosing a home, be sure to look at the important details, not the strange paint color. That is not a big deal and shouldn't stop you from purchasing an otherwise wonderful home.
- You can paint over wood.If you weren't sure, now you know. And sometimes painting over wood is one of the best things you can do it revive a tired old space.
- If you have help, you can accomplish a lot in your house. You might not get a crew like the one on Extreme Home Makeover, but even by enlisting the help of your spouse and kids, it's surprising what you might get done. So, delegate, woman!
More by this Author
The best cleaning and organizing blogs out there. These are all excellent resources that you may have never heard of them. Check them out for tips, advice and often great pictures!
I'm addicted to decorating shows! My favourites right now? Colour Confidential, Color Splash and Property Virgins.
This article give ten mistakes that people make when dealing with a workplace bully, based on the author's own experiences. She shares the mistakes she made, with the hope of helping others not to do the same.