FoodSaver Stainless Steel Vacuum Sealer What is for Dinner
What is for dinner? That question is repeated around the world on a daily basis. Sometimes the answer is easy but often an hour or longer can be spent just making a decision. That is crazy – who has that kind of time to waste? Much of that time can be saved if we learn to prepare in advance. Sealing food in air tight bags can expand our choices and save us time.
There are time saving ways to do most everything – even making decisions. Food decisions in particular have consequences that affect our health and our wealth. Plus we want it to taste good.
Cooking takes precious time so is there anything that we can prepare in advance? Yes – we can pre-cook some foods on a weekly basis. Weekends are a great time to plan ahead and have food ready for the week ahead. We can cook more than we need for the meal at hand and save the extra for the next meal.
How long will pre-prepared food last in the refrigerator or freezer? That depends on how long you plan to keep it and what the food is. If there are left over green beans from lunch and you plan to eat them tonight for dinner just put them in a covered container. If you have left-over roast and you want to save it for hot sandwiches next week or next month it needs to be kept in the freezer.
Foods bought in bulk quantities have the same rules. Cook what you want right now and store the rest for later. This is where many of us get bogged down. Who wants food from the freezer when it has freezer burn on it? How can freezer burn be prevented?
FoodSaver Vacuum Sealer One of the Best
A food vacuum sealer is the best way to prevent perfectly good food from ruining in the refrigerator or freezer. One of the best is the FoodSaver Stainless Steel Upright Vacuum Sealer. It is powerful and it allows you to have control over how much air you vacuum out.
· Meats and any foods with fluids create a problem for some food vacuum sealers. As the air is sucked out of the bag the liquids try to escape keeping you from getting an air tight seal. The FoodSaver has a setting for that.
· Some foods such as breads and pastries would be crushed by most vacuum sealers. The FoodSaver lets you stop the vacuum before the bread is crushed.
· The size of your family will determine the portions saved in each vacuum bag. The FoodSaver houses a roll of plastic and has a built in cutter to allow you to cut it where you want to.
· Food saved in FoodSaver Vacuum bags can be kept in the refrigerator, in the freezer or on the cabinet. They are microwave safe (always cut an opening first) and they can be used as boil-n-bags.
· Marinate foods inside of a vacuum bag. Vacuum carefully to leave as much liquid in the bag as possible and store in the refrigerator until ready to cook. One tip is to cool or freeze the meat and the marinate liquid ahead of time. The liquid will stay in the bag better.
Saving food is saving money. Saving time is saving money. Vacuum sealing your food for storage will save both time and money. Food Vacuum Sealers typically cost between one hundred and one hundred-fifty dollars. The vacuum sealer bags will typically cost from fifty cents to a couple of dollars depending on the size of bags you make.
If you need a larger vacuum bag than the FoodSaver can provide the Weston Vacuum Sealer makes bags up to 15 inches wide.
Food is not the only thing that can be vacuum sealed. Silver jewelry, old coins, bags of pencils and assorted screws are just some of the other uses.
More by this Author
All kids want a cell phone - even the very young. Many parents agree that they need one for several reasons including, safety, family communication and last but not least - entertainment.
"I am too busy to begin packing now - I will get to that later". Au contrarie, start gathering now and sort later. Otherwise you will pack too much and possibly leave behind what you really need.
You have to take notes and you can never keep up with them afterwards.You wish that your notes would magically appear on your computer where they could be edited and cleaned up a bit. There is always someone wanting a...
No comments yet.