Energy Efficient Air Conditioner
It's time to incorporate "going green" into our everyday lives. If you're going to purchase an air conditioner for the summer months, think efficiency. If every room air conditioner were ENERGY STAR qualified, we are looking at preventing 1.2 billion pounds of greenhouse gas emissions - the equivalent emissions from 100,000 cars! Switching to high-efficiency air conditioners and reducing your air-conditioning use can cut your cooling costs by 20 to 50 percent.
One great tip is to set your air conditioner to no cooler than 78 degrees - this can lower your costs by up to 40 percent. If you do not have a programmable thermostat go to Con Ed at www.conEd.com/cool or call 1-866-521-8600. They offer free ones. And don't run your air conditioner when the outdoor temperature is below 70 degrees. Open the windows instead and use fans whenever possible instead of turning on the air-conditioning. Fans use far less energy than air conditioners and many times offer the same level of comfort. We have a window air conditioner and set it at 75 - I know its not the recommended setting but its better it's better than running it all day.
- ENERGY STAR qualified room air conditioners use at least 10% less energy than conventional models.
- ENERGY STAR qualified room air conditioners often include timers for better temperature control, allowing you to use the minimum amount of energy you need to cool your room.
If you decide to bypass air conditioning all together here are some specific things you can do to keep cool at home
• Avoid indoor heat- and moisture-generating activities.
• Reduce the amount of heat in your home by controlling heat sources such as incandescent lights, dishwashers, dryers, ovens and solar gain through windows and insufficient insulation.
• Remove unwanted heat and moisture at its source (showers, laundry, cooking, wet basements and crawlspaces with spot ventilation or drainage.
• Prevent heat and moisture movement from outside to the inside with air sealing and insulation.
• Using fans and ceiling fans instead of the AC will increase your comfort at higher thermostat settings by moving air over your skin, creating a wind-chill effect by evaporating sweat and cooling you off.
• Shade sunny windows with landscaping, shades, curtains or awnings.
• Open windows at night - use a window fan.
More by this Author
Mi Familia/My Family uses characters to offer representations that combat the racist representations many films construct. LOVE MI FAMILIA 9 MM ITALIAN...
Entertainment films, such as the Wizard of Oz typically are not to have meaning. For many viewers they are not an art form but are made for entertainment. But in reality every film has some type of meaning. There are...
Film noir is generally associated with a ‘dark’ type of film in the era following WWII. Film’s that are categorized in this genre are marked by a style that generally contains certain distinguishing...
No comments yet.