Helpful Hints By Fastfreta....#1...Unusual Uses For Aluminum Foil
Aluminum foil is one of those things we use on a regular basis, but somehow never give a thought to it, even when we need it. We tend to reach for it for those common uses, but we don't think about the less common occasions where it can be used.
The following are seven uncommon uses for aluminum foil, that you may or may not have thought of.
Unusual uses for aluminum foil
Most of us already use aluminum foil for cooking and storage, so I won't cover those well known uses. I've utilized some of the following hints, while others I intend to try.
- Polishing silverware: Line a pan with aluminum foil, fill the pan with cold water, adding about two teaspoons of salt. Deposit silverware in mixture for about three minutes. Remove, rinse well and towel dry. And look! "New" silverware
- For the past few years I've been the interior painter for my home, so I can testify that these tips work: If you are too tired or otherwise called away before the painting job is finished, you can: a. Wrap the wet paint brush in aluminum foil and place in the refrigerator, and return to a completely reusable brush, without having to clean it, (this also works well with a plastic bag). Freeze the brush for an extended time when you get fed up with painting. b. When painting a door, wrap the doorknob with foil, taking care to completely cover the knob. c. If you misplace the lid to a paint can that you will be using in the near future, you can fashion a lid out of foil, however I wouldn't recommend using this for storage of paint, as foil can be punctured thereby allowing paint to dry out. Instead of buying disposable paint trays, line your existing metal pan with foil and remove when done.
- For dull scissors, layer a few pieces or foil and cut through them a few time, for easy sharpening.
- On your outdoor grill, prevent cooking your chicken too fast, by layering the grill with foil and strategically poking holes in it. After chicken is almost done remove foil to finish the cooking process. Another use on the outdoor grill is to wad up aluminum foil and scrub the grill clean instead of tediously soaking, spraying oven cleaner and waiting. This method can also be used in the kitchen on pots that have burned on foods instead of wasting your steel wool soap pads. Speaking of soap pads, if your pad has more life after the initial use, lightly wrap it in a piece of foil, taking care to squeeze remaining water from the pad.
- To re-soften brown sugar, wrap the block of sugar in foil and bake in a preheated 300 degree (Fahrenheit) oven for about 5 minutes.
- Whenever I cook anything that can drip in the oven, I line the rack beneath the dish with aluminum foil. When finished, I remove the foil and there's my oven, clean as ever
- I found this one on the Internet, but I have yet to try it. To steam your wool and silk garments, place a piece of aluminum foil on top of the ironing board, underneath the garment. Holding the iron a few inches away from the garment, press and hold down the steam button. Move the iron back and forth, as if ironing, never touching the garment, letting the steam do the work.
Anymore unusual uses?
If you have anymore unusual uses for aluminum foil, feel free to add them in your comments.
More by this Author
Have you ever wondered who your elders are, and what they have to offer? Well read on and see just who they could be and what advice they might have to offer.
Do you love to clean? I do, read on and see if you can identify with some of my proclivities.
"I can never do anything right." Is that how you feel, or, is that what you're always told? Does it seem that every endeavor you attempt, falls far short of it's intended goal?