Home Water Damage Do's and Dont's
Home water damage can be a home owners worst nightmare but it can eventually have a happy ending. My brother, Kyle Young, has been a water damage technician for over ten years in Seattle, which means he's pretty busy about nine months a year. I asked him some questions on what you can do to prevent water damage and what to do should this disaster happens to you.
1. What are some of the major causes of home water damage? Some of the most common causes are usually pipes breaking due to faulty lines, freezing pipes and poor construction. We also see a lot of the older roofs that weather with time and begin leaking. Lastly would be some of the uncommon occurrences such as downed trees, flash flooding and other weather related incidents.
2. What are the first things a home owner should do upon discovering water damage? Call an expert! Whether it's a roofer or a plumber get someone out to your home who knows what they're doing to stop the the leak and then call your insurance company and a water damage restoration company that can immediately start repairing the damage and getting your life back on track.
3. What are some common mistakes that homeowners make in regards to water damage? The biggest mistake is that homeowners try to take care of the damage themselves. While they think everything is alright because it's dry on the outside, its still wet inside the wall which, in return, will cause mold. Insurance companies are generally hesitant and don't like to cover mold because they consider it neglect and wont insure it. That's why its best to call a certified water tech to asses the damage and make the right recommendations.
4. What is the process in repairing home water damage? We first identify the source and its causes. The second step is simply fixing the problem. Third, we remove effected areas that we find are un-dryabled and then fourth we set up our equipment for drying as well as monitor the drying progress. When this is completed we help with making the necessary referrals and/or suggestions for repairing the damaged areas.
5. What should homeowners look for in a water damage company? Nine times out of ten the homeowners insurance company will suggest a preferred, reputable company. If this isn't the case then you want to make sure that the company is licensed, insured and bonded. Call around and ask them what their experience is and what are some of the past jobs that they have completed and then make the best educated decision you can.
6. What can home owners do to help prevent water damage? Wrap your pipes for the winter, check your roof for leaks and then hope for the best because water damage can happen to anyone no matter how much you prepare.
More by this Author
Are you, or someone you know a douchebag? Have you ever wondered how you could stop repelling people around you and losing friends? Than this is the article for you. Read this and start reintegrating your self into...
Everyone likes to go out and socialize, but if your at a local watering hole you may want to avoid these topics lest you ruin the fun for everyone.
No comments yet.