Homemade Laundry Soap Reicpe
I live on a very small income and it's a hardship having to buy cleaning products, especially laundry soap. I recently came across this homemade laundry soap recipe and it comes out to a penny a load. I was expecting poor results but was very pleased to discover it does an excellent job cleaning my laundry and it's so easy to make you'll be surprised.
- 1 bar Fels Naptha® or your favorite bar of bath soap, grated with cheese grater
- 1 cup Arm & Hammer Super Washing Soda®
- 1 cup 20 Mule Team Borax Powder®
- 6 cups water, for pot
- 1 1/2 gallons + 6 cups hot water, for bucket
- 5-gallon size bucket to hold laundry soap
- 10 drops favorite essential oil, optional for scent
- 1/2 cup oxyclean (powder or liquid), optional for extra stain fighting and whitening
Arm & Hammer Super Washing Soda
More on ingredients
Fels Naptha is a bar of soap for the specific use in laundry and stain fighting. It is sometimes difficult to see on the shelf as most stores do not stock a lot of it. You may have to ask.
Arm & Hammer Washing Powder can also be difficult to find, although with more and more people seeking it for homemade laundry soap it may begin to build in stock. * Do not confuse it with any other Arm & Hammer product, soda, soap, or detergent. It is washing powder.
20 Mule Team Borax comes in a box and is commonly found in most laundry sections.
- Grate the bar of soap with a typical cheese grater.
- Heat 6 cups of water in a pot and add grated bar soap. Stir until soap is dissolved.
- Add the cup of Arm & Hammer Washing Soda® and stir.
- Add the Borax powder and stir until all ingredients have dissolved. Remove from heat.
- Put 6 cups of hot water in 5-gallon bucket.
- Add soap solution.
- Add another 1 1/2 gallons of hot water.
- If you are using an essential oil and /or oxyclean, add now.
- Let sit over night. It will turn into a gel.
- For regular loads, use 1/4 cup of laundry soap. Wash on any setting.
- To make your sparkly, clean laundry extra fresh, hang out on the line in the fresh air and sunshine.
How has homemade laundry soap worked for you?See results without voting
More by this Author
It's funny how the world quotes from the Bible those verses which aren't actually in the Bible. Then there are misquotes where they have the correct Scripture but the wrong wording. There are also words that are not in...
Chocolate stains are enough to send a mother into orbit. But here is a tried and true solution to remove chocolate stains without a trace, with no elbow grease or expensive products.
The digital age has not been conducive to cultivating heartfelt expressions of gratitude in the written word. Texting and social media have fostered impersonal and insensitive ways of saying thanks.