How to Make Homemade Organic Cleaning Wipes
There is no doubt that cleaning wipes are convenient to have on hand to take care of spills and messes. They are indispensible when unexpected visitors are knocking at the door and you notice that your three year old has tried to write his name on the bathroom wall -- without crayons.
Commercial cleaning wipes are expensive and unless you get an all natural or organic type they are hard on your skin as well as the environment.
For budget friendly as well as eco-friendly cleaning you may want to consider making your own organic wipes for cleaning.
How to Make Organic Cleaning Wipes
It only takes a few minutes to make organic cleaning wipes that smell great and save you money. While paper towels are simple to use and throw away, the flannel squares are a more environmentally friendly alternative. You will just need another container to keep them in until you are ready to wash them. Wash in hot water with an oxygen bleach and a few drops of lavender essential oil to disinfect them.
You will need the following supplies –
- Recycled paper towels or two dozen 6 inch squares of flannel that have been serged around the edges
- A container with a lid to fit the cloths (a baby wipe container is perfect)
- A container to hold the used cloths until wash day
- Homemade cleaning solution
- Place the paper towels or washcloths in the container.
- Cover with the cleaning solution.
- Cover the container and allow the wipes to absorb the cleaning solution overnight.
- Use as needed.
- Wash regularly in hot water.
Recipes for Cleaning Solution
Most of these cleaning solutions can be made with supplies that you probably have in your home.
Disinfectant Cleaning Solution Recipe
This all purpose cleaner disinfects and smells great, too.
- 2 cups water
- 2 cups white vinegar
- 10 drops of tea tree oil
- 10 drops of lavender essential oil
- 5 drops of 7th Generation organic dish soap in lavender and mint scent (a personal favorite)
Glass Cleaning Solution
This is great for adding a quick sparkle to a dingy mirror.
- 2 cups water
- ½ cup rubbing alcohol
- ¼ cup white vinegar
Homemade Baby Wipes
And, just in case you need homemade baby wipes as well, this recipe is easy, gentle on baby's skin and smells great.
- 2 cups water
- 3 drops lavender organic essential oil
- 2 drops of organic tea tree oil
- 1 400 IU capsule of vitamin E (D Alpha Tocopherol not DL Alpha Tocopherol)
- Mix the water and essential oils
- Poke a hole in the vitamin E capsule and squirt the contents into the water
- Mix well
- Pour over the flannel squares and allow to soak overnight
How to Make Homemade Wipes with Paper Towels
How to Use Organic Cleaning Wipes
The wipes are simple to use. Just open the top of the container and remover one wipe.Squeeze the extra liquid out of it back into the container – you don't want to waste one drop!
Wipe the surface until it is clean. You may want to rewipe with a dry cloth to prevent streaks. Drop the used cloth in the container for used wipes. Don't let them go too long without washing – especially in hot weather
Convenience without Chemicals
Making or buying organic cleaning wipes gives you all of the convenience without all the chemicals. Make several containers of them to keep in each bathroom, as well as making one for the kitchen. You can add organic essential oils for fragrance if you like, just make sure to leave the lavender and tea tree oils in the formula because they disinfect. Do not add anything to the baby wipes solution because you don't want it to be harsh on baby's skin.
By using organic wipes, especially those you make yourself, you can protect your home, your budget and the environment. And that is a great feeling!
More by this Author
There are both pros and cons to marmoleum,flooring. Is it the perfect option for your home or a complete nightmare that you will regret for years?
If you are storing clothes, you need ot know how to prevent moths, mold, and mildew. You don't need toxic chemicals, control pests the natural way-with herbs.
Building an outdoor fireplace is something that most anyone can do with the right tools, some instructions, and the help of some friends. Whether you use a kit or make it from the ground up, ultimately it will add...