Homemade Rosemary Peppermint Carpet Freshener
After years of using aromatherapy on myself and my family, I find that when I want to take the quick route and just buy lavender carpet fresh, that it doesn't really smell like lavender or some other so called natural scent.
Loving the smell of my essential oils, and using natural products as much as possible, I came up with an invigorating and refreshing version of carpet fresh, made of essential oils and baking soda. The particular blend I will share with you below is one of my favorites and when ever I use it everyone always tells me how lovely they find the aroma.
- 2 cups baking soda
- 8 drops peppermint oil, 100% pure essential oil
- 6 drops rosmary oil, 100% pure essential oil
- 1 cotton ball or pad
- 1 or more jars, use metal so you can poke holes in the lid
- drop the essential oils on a cotton pad or tissue and place in a large shaker jar, or jar with holes poked in the top.
- Fill up the jar with baking soda
- If you would like, decorate your jar with ribbon, or colored paints.
- Shake up and mix together. Leave it sit for awhile, the longer you let it sit, the more time it gives for the scent to infuse with the baking soda.
- When the baking soda has absorbed the smell of the oils, you can now use the carpet freshener on your rug. Sprinkle all over your rugs that you want to vaccum, and let sit for a few minutes, for best results I like to leave it for about 20 minutes.
- Make sure you have a clean vaccum bag in and then vaccum up all the powder. The air exhaust from the clean vaccum should help propel the wonderful aromas throughout your home.
There are many other wonderful combinations of essential oils that you can use for this project. Such as lavender, lemon grass, sweet orange, or spearmint. Just remember a few drops of essential oils goes along way. Have fun with it and try out different scents in your home.
Caution: essential oils may be natural, but that doesn't mean they are all safe for everyone to use. Pregnant women should avoid use of essential oils. These oils are very potent and have medicinal properties and with that individual cautions to go with them. So you might want to do a bit of research before you use any essential oil in your home. You will be amazed by vast array of ailments that can be alleviated by their medicinal properties.
No comments yet.