Hot Tips for Your Gas Furnace and Heat Pump
- Heating and Air Repair
Air Treatment Inc leads the Greensboro area in innovation in energy efficient HVAC systems.
- Deciding to Repair or Replace Furnace
For many homeowners the decision to repair or replace their furnace is a matter of economics. For others it could be a matter of necessity, especially if damage is detected that can cause a carbon monoxide leak. Should a leak in the combustion...
- Difference between Natural Gas and Electric Heating ...
At the beginning of every heating season homeowners often question if their home heating choice is the least expensive and efficient with the discussion often focused on electric or natural gas. There are a few things to consider when making the...
- Overview: Home Heating Systems | Department of Energy
A variety of technologies are available for heating your house.
Having a well-functioning heat and air system is important for keeping your house comfortable, especially during the winter. If the system breaks down during such a crucial time, it can leave the homeowner in a very precarious and expensive position to get their system working again.
Here are a few tips to keep in mind to ensure that your gas furnace and heating system are reliable and running for a long time.
- Make sure that the furnace turns on and off by setting the temperature with the thermostat to a higher level than the current temperature of the house, and then setting the air system to heating mode.
- Filters should be kept clean in order to maximize the heat generated by the furnace without wasting energy. Clogged filters will block any hot air being pumped through the vents.
- Check the air supply vents around your house to ensure that you can feel heat coming from them.
- Ensure that none of the vents around your home are blocked by furniture. This can cause your furnace to recognize a room is colder than the rest, and will work harder to raise the temperature of that room, even though no one heat will get to it.
- If the thermostat is an older model that uses mercury switches, make sure that it is kept clean and leveled to ensure that it is working properly.
- For condensing furnaces, the drainage system should be checked and kept clean to ensure that is working properly.
- Check the condition of any visible wires or electrical connections to see if there are any signs of loose nuts, faulty wires or burn damage. Damaged wires can not only mean that your furnace is not working correctly, but it can also become a fire hazard.
- The parts of the venting system can deteriorate over time, so it would be good to check them over in case there are any gaps in the vent connection pipes or the chimney, or if anything has been worn down by rust.
- A clean and properly-sized filter is key if your furnace is part of the heating system.
- Keeping the heat exchange boxes and the inducer assembly clean and well-maintained.
- Moving parts and motors should be efficiently lubricated to keep everything running smoothly.
- Return air ducts should be inspected and repaired, especially if there are any obstructions, leaks or torn insulation.
- An inspection of the entire heating system, including the venting, ducts, burners and combustion area, is important and should be done on a regular basis. The best time to do so is during the fall, before your heating system is going to be put to work during the winter.
By practicing these tips on a regular basis, you can establish that your gas furnace will function properly and possibly extend the lifetime of the system itself. Routine maintenance will also save you money in the long run, since it will reduce the chances of having to replace the entire heating system if it breaks down prematurely, and it will save you money on your heating bill by reducing wasted energy.
More by this Author
With the many different kinds of stone countertops available on the market there is little wonder that it can sometimes be confusing deciding which countertop you wish to have installed in your home. A stone known as...
Most people don't know it yet, and many actually take it for granted, but the most effective tactic to make their home more comfortable lies just above their heads. When checking out a home, we ask about the location...
The Kitchen is an important room in most homes, it’s where families cook and eat together. When considering a new kitchen layout it’s important to understand the pros and cons of each.
No comments yet.