How To Design Your Own Headboard
The bedroom is one of the most important rooms in the house. Your bed should be comfortable and desirable. If your bedroom décor need some improvement, but you don't have a lot of money to spend, why not revive your room with a new headboard??
You can transform your bedroom by customizing and creating your own headboard. It's fun, easy, inexpensive and adds your own personal touch!
You do not have to be an interior decorator to create and appealing headboard that will add some style to your room. All you need is a few supplies and you will be good to go!!
Supplies and Materials You Will Need:
- A piece of plywood cut into a desired shape of your choice (square, rectangle, 1/2 circle, domed rectangle) and make sure you measure the appropriate size for your bed.
- Sandpaper or a sander to give your wood a smooth finish
- Foam padding. The foam will need to be a least 1 inch think and cut to fit the shape of the plywood. Make sure it is long enough to wrap around th backside.
- Select a fabric of your choice (leather, silk, heavy linen, velvet, or faux suede). Choose a style/pattern that matches your personality and the rest of the décor in your bedroom.
- Embellishments of your choice (gold tacks, cording, buttons, tassels, appliquéd pieces, beads)
- Staple gun
- Glue gun with glue sticks
Getting Down To Business. Step-By-Step
- When you are at the lumber store, have them cut the plywood into the shape you want.
- Place the padding evenly over the plywood and staple into place.
- Cover the plywood and padding with the fabric you chose. Make sure you pull it tight to eliminate any creasing or bubbles and staple it to the back of the headboard.
- When you have finished covering the plywood, now you can break out the embellishments and decorate to your desired taste.
- Use your glue gun if you need to place your decorative cording around the headboard.
Other Fun Headboard Ideas
Check out some of these! Very fun and unique!
Using shutters or an old door is also a creative idea.
Shutters: Take some shutters, whether old or new and stain and paint them to match the décor in your bedroom. Position them above your bed where you want them and attach them to a wooden frame. You can also place a picture or painting behind to create an illusion.
Old Door: Sand and stain an old door to match the rest of your bedroom furniture and décor. Option: if the door has panels, you can paint the inserts with a contrasting color to add some color depth. You can find old doors at a savage yard, Craigslist, flea markets, garage sales, or antique stores.