How To Easily Remove Wallpaper With A Fabric Softener
How To Remove Wallpaper With Fabric Softener
Removing old wallpaper can be an arduous and time-consuming process. Happily for us, applying a concoction of fabric softener and water can soften old wallpaper and the underlying glue to the point where it literally falls off. There are no overarching guarantees however, in order to be sure I suggest you test your concoction (more on that later) on a small quadrant and make sure it does work for the given material.
But we're getting ahead of ourselves already! As promised, this article aims to be an easy to follow step-by-step guide, so we'll start at the very beginning and take a look at what we'll need to have before we even begin to think about spicing up our living quarters (or someone else's).
A What Knife?
Not all of us are familiar with household nomenclature! A putty knife is essentially a spatula, a knife featuring a wide, flat blade that is used to scrape surfaces.
Wallpaper Removal Checklist
Not all of these are strictly necessary, and in many cases you can improvise (I'll let you know when).
- Duct tape - You'll need to seal off all electrical outlets in the room before you start. You never know!
- A lot of old newspapers - In order to protect the floor and other sensitive areas from being tarnished.
- A pair of helping hands for the furniture, if necessary.
- A generale purpose knife with a keen edge and a putty knife (check to the right for more information!).
- A sturdy pair of gloves.
- A bucket of water and a sponge.
- Some rags to wipe the wallpaper down with after having sprayed it. Incidentally, you'll also want a spray bottle!
- Some fabric softener.
Preparing The Room(s)
In order to limit any creative fallout (you know what I mean) remember to cover all areas of the room that you don't want to tarnish, including the floor, with old newspapers or old clothes. Frontal panels on sockets and electrical outlets should be removed and isolated with duct tape. Turn off the electricity in the household if you can. Any and all wiring should be temporarily and forcibly emigrated to a new room while you carry out your makeover.
Furniture too should be removed. Ironically, there's always that one set piece that is too large to fit through the door, and has you wondering how on earth it got in there to begin with, in which case I wish you the best of luck!
Let's Get Started
All set? Now we get to have a little fun. Before you start playing the part of the alchemist, try scoring (cutting) the wallpaper into quadrants and peeling the wallpaper off manually. Some kinds of wallpaper are designed to be stripped off rather easily, but don't get your hopes up, chances are you didn't get organized in vain. And anyway, it's a lot more fun this way.
- Scoring the wallpaper serves to allow your concoction to more easily soften the wallpaper. Don't overdo it though, you'll want to avoid damaging the wall itself!
- Now take your bucket and mix your fabric softener with warm/hot water in equal parts, I.E 50:50.
- Put on your gloves and fill up your spray bottle with your new mix and apply it uniformly (or alternatively work in sections) to all of the wallpaper, don't neglect the corners.
- Let it lie for around a half-an-hour. That should give the solution plenty of time to work it's magic.
- Use your rag and your white vinegar and water solution to neutralize residue on the wall before applying any new wallpaper. Make sure it's absolutely dry.
Bear in mind that if it doesn't simply peel off the first time, it is normal. You may have to repeat the process several times -- and use up plenty of softener and water in the process.
I Did It?
Yes, it's that simple! If you're smiling and watching the wallpaper peel off like my skin in the summer then clap yourself on the back, it's done. If not, you may (though I doubt it) have to give another solution a shot.
I hope you enjoyed my article on how to remove wallpaper with fabric softener, if you have any concerns, suggestions or campfire tales please let me know in the comments section below!
More by this Author
Learn the ins and outs of dating as a shy guy! Take a whirl through female psychology and make the most of your chances. Do girls like shy guys? Read on to find out!
Learn how to safely and naturally kill fleas in your carpet in thirty seconds flat. Avoid potential health hazards for both yourself, your family and your pets!
Learn how you can quickly and safely convince those pimples to vacate the premises!