How to Build a Simple Do It Yourself Corner Fireplace
We were very happy to have found a house that was perfect for us at a reasonable price and in really good shape. The main floor was well kept and up to date with hard wood floors, new cupboards, windows, etc. All it needed was some paint to make it ours.
The basement however was a different story but we could see the many possibilities. It was a good size with a bar, storage, workshop, laundry area, spare bedroom, washroom and a wood stove. The problem was the décor was stuck in the 70's and we were not quite sure where to start. Well, the insurance company made that decision easy for us. The old wood stove had to be removed as it did not have a certification sticker. Believe me, I was glad to be forced to get rid of it as quickly as possible. As you can see from the picture below, it looked like it belonged in a cottage rather than a home. Our first task was how to get the old extremely heavy wood stove up the stairs and out of the house. That required a couple strong men. I was no help there.
Now, what do we do with the ugly empty brick corner of our basement? That was more my department.
Where to start?
This whole project only cost $300.00 and took one weekend. We really didn't have a clue initially what to do but once we got a plan formed in our head the rest went very smoothly. After much deliberation we decided not to spend thousands of dollars on a gas fireplace but to install an electric fireplace insert which was on sale. The basement was already heated so we felt that an electric fireplace would provide sufficient heat to take the chill off and add to the ambiance of the room.
Before we began I was scouring the internet for ideas on corner fireplaces and many were beyond the simple scope that we were looking for. Although your project would have its own unique qualities, I hope ours help with some ideas even if it is just from the before and after pictures.
Initially we were not sure whether to remove the bricks as you can see from the picture above. We decided it would be easier just to paint them out and keep the whole project simple and monochromatic for a modern feel which this basement needed badly.
After painting the bricks that we thought would remain exposed we needed to determine how far out we wanted the fireplace to extend. We debated on having some bricks remain on each side and I am so glad we squashed that idea. Bringing the triangle out to cover the bricks was in keeping with the modern feel.
Tools and Supplies Used for This Project
Electric screw driver
Concrete anchors, wood screws
1 sheet of drywall
ready made drywall compound
1 sheet of pressed wood or plywood
1 gallon of paint (I used the Behr Premium Plus Ultra, Paint and Primer in One in an eggshell finish)
molding or fireplace framing
Simple and Inexpensive
Now you would need to adjust this list according to the finish you want. For example, we simply wanted a flat front surface to paint so sheet rock was a good choice for this project. If you want to add rock or tile to the front, it would be better to choose something more durable like plywood. Also, on the top we cut back on expenses and got pressed wood for $7.00 rather than plywood for $30.00. We gave it a coat of ready made drywall compound to fill in the cracks thus giving us a nice smooth finish and strong support for a flat screen TV later.
At the base, attach measured and mitred 2x4s to the wall and front forming a triangle. Repeat the triangle at the desired height. We felt 2x2s were sufficient supports between the triangles on the wall but used 2x4 supports in the ends and front.
Next we assembled a simple support for the insert as you can see in the above picture. Then we completed the finish with drywall for the front and pressed wood with ready made drywall compound on top as noted earlier.
As you can see in the picture below, there were small bricks remaining on the front of the concrete base. We decided to remove them and simply paint out the roughness of the concrete to give it a rock feel that blends in. Finally the rest was painted in the same gray color for a completely updated cozy corner.
You will note the Rolling Stones Clock in the picture below. As you saw in the first picture there was a wood stovepipe extending into the wall from the outside. After insulating the pipe, the clock was our temporary solution which we think works well.
We were quite proud of the outcome of this little project. It was done on a small budget but made a dramatic improvement. This project could be altered in so many ways to suit a variety of decors. Just imagine the possibilities with available funds and creativity.
I can't wait now to bring the rest of the basement into the same century. More on that later........
Please keep in mind we are not professionals. I am just sharing our little home improvement project idea that was great for our needs. Good luck and have fun with yours.