How to Clean the Smell of Smoke from Your Clothes and Hair
If You Smell Like Smoke
If you attended a meeting and sat near a smoker or gone to a bonfire you may be wondering how to get rid of the overpowering smoke smell. Getting rid of smoke odors can be difficult, especially cigarette smoke. Your hair especially picks it up. If you have an important appointment and don't have time to change and shower, these can be great solutions for you.
Here I'll show you what do do when your clothing and hair can't be washed right away. I'll also share some tips on how to launder your clothing and shampoo your hair later to be sure the smell is gone.
9 Ways to Get Rid of Cigarette Smoke Odors from Your Hair When You Can't Shampoo
A good shampoo is the best way to get rid of cigarette smells or other smoke odors. If you can't do that immediately these suggestions will help.
- In a pinch, you can sprinkle baby powder or body powder in your hair and then brush it out. Just sprinkle it lightly, so you don't have any problems getting it out. I can remember doing this one in High School, but we'd use it to get the oil out of our hair. It worked.
- If baby powder isn't available, baking soda will help too. Baking soda absorbs odors. It works for ashtrays, so it will work for hair. You may need to repeat this more than once.
- Spray a styling product on your hair. The nice smell will help disguise the smell. I've used this one many times. You smell the pleasant smell instead of the smoke. Of course it only masks the odor, but it helps.
- You can run a fabric softener sheet through your hair. Not only will it add a nice fresh scent, but it helps absorb the smell too. At the same time it will take any static out of your hair.
- Products are available that are created to get rid of cigarette odors. Use one of these and just spray it on your hair and clothing. Sephora sells a product to spray on your hair. Other products available are Banish and Gone Smoke. I haven't tried any of these yet, but they come highly recommended.
- Try spraying Febreze on your hair. Don't get it on your scalp and be sure it doesn't get in your eyes.Try to breathe in as little as possible of the spray . If your hair is long, hold your hair out away from your scalp and then spray. If you have short hair, this may not work as well. If you can hold your hair out far enough to keep the spray away from your scalp, you can use it.
- If you just go outdoors in the fresh air and brush out your hair, the odor will lessen. Fresh air can do wonders.
- Suave has a dry shampoo. If you know you are going to be in this position often, you should purchase it and carry with you.
- Many people claim that rinsing your hair in advance with cider vinegar keeps the smoke smell from clinging to your hair. This is worth a try if you know you'll be around smoke.
Getting Rid of Campfire Smoke Smell
Following the ideas to get rid of cigarette smoke odors will help. Here are a few ideas if you've been around a campfire.
- You should get out in the sunshine. Sunshine is a natural deodorizer.
- If you can't shampoo, but can take a shower, the steam helps remove the odor.
- Mixing lemon juice with water can help. Just make a blend of about 1 part lemon juice to 5 parts water and spray it on your hair. This will help neutralize the smell.
How to Shampoo Your Hair to Get Out Smoke Smell
If you've been in a room with smokers all evening, getting the odor out of your hair can be a challenge. You may need to wash it several times.
- Just shampooing your hair should remove the odor. You can try the next steps if it doesn't work.
- Adding baking soda with the shampoo can help. You should add about a tablespoon.
- Use apple cider vinegar to rinse you hair. You should only use a half of cap mixed with water. Don't use this on colored or highlighted hair. It may remove the color. The vinegar will remove the odor and when you rinse it out, it doesn't leave a vinegar smell.
- These tips should work with one try, but If one shampoo doesn't work, redo the entire process.
How to Get Rid of Cigarette Odor
Getting Smoke Odors Out of Your Clothes When You are in a Hurry
It is amazing how clothing can pick-up odors so quickly. Many of the ideas that will work for your hair will work for your clothing also.
- If you use Febreze or a similar product it will work to cover-up the odor. What I've learned about Febreze though, is that it is only a cover-up. It doesn't remove the odor. Only laundering your clothing will do that. It works in a pinch though.
- You can also try sprinkling your clothing with baking soda. Baby powder will work too. You need to be sure not to overdo it or you'll have problems getting it out. Use a clothing brush to brush it out afterwards.
Laundering Your Clothes to Get Rid of the Smoke
- When laundering your clothes, add 1/4 cup of baking soda with the laundry soap.
- For the rinse, use 1/4 cup of white vinegar. Don't worry about the clothing smelling like vinegar later. It rinses out with no smell.
by VideoJug, Youtube
Dry Clean Only Clothing
There are two ways to remove the odor from clothing that can't be laundered.
- First try all of the ideas for removing smoke odors suggested when you need to get rid of the odor in a hurry.
- Fill your bathtub about 1/4 full of steaming hot water. Pour in some vinegar and then hang the clothing on the shower rod. The vinegar filled steam will help remove the odors.
- If you have an outdoor clothes line, hang the clothing there. Let the fresh air do its job. If not open a window and hang the clothes there. The fresh air should help.
If you've had a guest that smokes, you may want to find how to remove the odors from your home. How to Get Rid of Smoke Odors from Your Home will show you ways to get rid of the odor .
© 2013 Barbara Kay Badder
More by this Author
Do you have a problem with skunks in your yard? Learn how to get rid of skunk odor off pets, people, clothing and in your home. Learn how to repel skunks from your yard.
You've got an ink stain from your pen on you best new blouse or shirt. Learn how to use simple things you already have around the house to remove the ink stain.
If you are having problems with your laminated floors being streaky, here you'll find a solution to clean the laminate floors that really works.Just use products you already have in the house.