How to Declutter a Closet
When you open your closet and can't find what you are looking for, that might be a clue that you need to declutter your closet. Or maybe you do know exactly where something is. You just have to dig it out of a small pile of rubble.
Taking on the challenge of cleaning a junky closet can be daunting. Yet, have no fear. Whether you are dealing with a wardrobe or another type of closet, it's possible to change things around and bring in some organization to create a more functional space....Just be aware that things may have to get a little messier before it gets better.
Here are some tips to help you declutter your closet.
Decrease Your Clutter
The first step to declutter your closet is to decrease the amount of things you have in it. So, outside of the closet, designate a space (or box) for each of the following categories:
- Give Away - Things that you haven't used in a while, forgot about, and do not plan on using in the future...Someone else may just get more use out of it and really appreciate the gift.
- Storage - Things that are seasonal can be boxed up and set to the side until needed. For example, winter wear can be put away until needed.
- Throw Away/Recycle - Things that may be damaged or are definitely not useable it their current state can be gotten rid of or recycled for another use.
As you pull things out of the closet, put items in the appropriate pile. Start with one section or with one shelf at a time.
Have a Place for Everything
Every item in the closet should be put in a place where you can easily find it when need it. One way of assuring this is to neatly group the same items together.
- Hand Bags
You can go a step further and organize each thing by:
- Frequency of use
Organizers Are a Closet's Best Friend
Using certain organizers can really make decluttering quite simple. Organizers accomplish several goals.
- Gives the closet an overall tidier appearance.
- Makes things easier to reach
- Keeps items from blocking each other and easier to locate
- Maximizes closet space
Along with shoe racks and other space saver organizers, one may want to add additional shelving.
How often do you declutter or reorganize your closet?See results without voting
More by this Author
Can you recall listening to a song and immediately connecting to the lyrics or message because of its relevance to your current circumstance or mood? Try creating a music journal!
Just a little inspiration from one of my favorite divas; a collection of inspirational songs by Mariah Carey.
It’s been said that music is like healing to the soul. Finding the perfect song may help you mediate on what's important and could even sooth your brokenness away. Here are ten songs about healing.