How to Get Rid of Mold on Walls

How to Get Rid of Mold on Walls

Mold is often an ugly, unsightly discovery in a new house, or in an area with insufficient ventilation. Not only is it an eyesore, it may also be dangerous, as mold spreads by spores, which spread through the air. People with asthma or sensitive respiratory tracts will be affected by it.

Often, mold forms where there is a constant water supply, such as around the shower, or in humid rooms. Cleaning mold isn't particularily difficult, though it often indicates a deeper problem, such as leaking pipes or insufficient ventilation. While I'll show you how to get rid of mold on walls, you will also want to look at the root causes, and see if you can resolve these.

If the room where the mold is spreading is anywhere near a bathroom or kitchen, it might be worth the trouble of getting a plumber in to take a look. You also want to check for mold behind raised tiles, or in nooks and crannies such as dark corners and behind skirting.

Quick Tip

It's best to sponge from the bottom up, to make sure you're not collecting more mold in the runoff. It's also a good idea to hold a rag under the sponge to catch the runoff and any drips.

Small Areas of Mold

You'll need:

  • Sponge
  • Dish-washing liquid or bleach (not recommended)
  • Bucket
  • Rag or kitchen towels.
  • Gloves

In all cases, you'll want to clean the mold with a sponge and some simple dishwashing liquid. Bleach can also be used, but only carefully, as it tends to discolor walls. A bucket is useful, as is a rag or some kitchen towels - the mold discolors the water, and you don't want that running down the wall, making everything even messier. You probably want to use some gloves to avoid getting either the mold or the bleach on your hands.

For a small area of mold, you should be good to go. Simply sponge off the mold, and dry the area.

Large Areas of Mold

Larger areas of mold (for example, an entire wall coated in mold near the skirting) pose a somewhat higher risk, as the mold will release spores when it is touched. In these cases, it is probably best to get a professional cleaner in to get rid of it, as breathing in spores is not a very good idea. With that in mind, if you'd like to tackle the mold, you'll need:

It's also a good idea to make sure the area you're working in is well-ventilated. Make sure to wear both the googles and the mask, as you'll be dealing with large amounts of spores which irritate both the respiratory tract and the eyes.

The process to remove this mold is the same as above - simply sponge off the mold. You'll probably go through a few buckets before you're done.

After Cleaning

As stated above, it is always a good idea to examine the root causes of the mold, and prevent it from forming in the first place. Mold indicates a number of things, and may not always form in visible areas. Make sure you're ventilating your rooms well, and get a plumber in if you suspect the mold could be in the walls and not only on them.

More by this Author


No comments yet.

    Sign in or sign up and post using a HubPages Network account.

    0 of 8192 characters used
    Post Comment

    No HTML is allowed in comments, but URLs will be hyperlinked. Comments are not for promoting your articles or other sites.

    Click to Rate This Article