How to Make Storage Containers Using Recycled Materials
If you need storage containers for organizing your stuff at home, you don't have to buy them all the time. Why not use storage containers using recycled materials? It will save you some money by making them yourself. This hub will teach you a simple way how to make them.
I have a friend who is talented when it comes to making arts and crafts projects. When the children ministry in our church had a project of redecorating the kids' room, one of her projects was to make storage containers out of recycled materials. I really admire her talent. Just look at these recycled plastic ice cream containers and recycled box containers she made. It looks so nice and neat when arranged on this book shelf.
Why Make Storage Containers Out of Recycled Materials?
While it is possible to just buy storage containers from the market, which is an easy thing to do, why would we want to make storage containers from recycled materials on our own? Let me point out quickly 3 good reasons.
1. It is cheaper. If you buy storage containers, it would definitely cost a little more. When you use recycled materials like ice cream containers or boxes and some arts and craft materials, the total cost would be somewhat lower. Additionally, you get to make the design that you want for your container.
2. It is more environment friendly. Since these recyclable materials will be reused at home, that would mean lesser garbage to dispose of. Lesser garbage means lesser cost in managing the proper disposal of garbage. It would also mean lesser carbon emission which occurs within the recycling plants. And that means the cleaner our environment will be.
3. It is fun to make. These do-it-yourself storage containers from recyclable materials can be a fun project to make with your kids. Doing it with them not only keeps the kids busy (less naughty) but it will also enhance their creativity and art talents.
How to Make Storage Containers Out of Recyclable Materials
So, how do you make storage containers out of recycled materials? What are the materials and steps involved? After reading below you'll be glad to know how easy it is. With a little patience and creativity, you can make your own storage containers from recyclable materials.
What Recyclable Materials to Use
There are a lot of recyclable materials which you can use for this project - plastic bottles and containers; glass bottles or jars; aluminum cans and lots of boxes - cereal boxes, shoe boxes, boxes of toys or appliances, etc.
Steps to Make the Storage Containers
1. Collect and clean used containers such as plastic and glass bottles. Wash with soap, remove any sticker labels then dry. Boxes can be cut to the desired size or shape.
2. Prepare other materials such as art paper; gift/book wrapping paper, poster paint or acrylic paint, glue, stickers, glitter glue, scissors, rulers, pencils, etc.
3. One option is to simply wrap the outer side of the boxes, bottles or jars with the gift or book wrapping paper. I like to use book covers which are like stickers. Just peel off the back side and stick the sticky paper onto the container. Otherwise, you can put glue on the container then stick the gift wrapping paper onto it. Slowly flatten the paper onto the container removing air bubbles. A good trick also for curved edges is to cut parallel lines at the edge of the paper before sticking them to the container to avoid bulging.
4. Another option is to paint the outer side of the containers using poster paint or acrylic paint. Kids would love to do this painting job. Let it dry. Then, decorate it with stickers, drawings, glitter glue or creative lettering. You can also cut our art paper and use it to design a mosaic on the outside of the bottles or boxes if you want to.
5. Now, you can think of what you want to do with these containers.
How to Make Chest of Drawers Using Recyclable Materials
Some Ideas for Using Storage Containers from Recycled Materials
1. Use recyclable boxes, plastic containers as storage containers on book shelves or closets, for keeping art supplies and books as shown in the picture above. You can also design cereal boxes to be used as magazine or folder racks.
2. Use aluminum cans as pencil stand. Some aluminum cans already come with good designs but you can still use your creativity to customize it. You can also stick a number of aluminum cans together and place it on your desk or onto a wall which can be used as a shelf for small things like keys, IDs, eyeglass, etc.
3. Use glass jars to hold hair clips, fashion accessories, buttons and other sewing materials, scrap booking embellishments, etc. Those spice bottles with sprinklers - they are perfect for keeping in them glitters or colored sand which can be used for easily sprinkling them on art projects. Most airtight food bottles or jars are perfect for storing in them again food items like homemade cookies, sauces, jams and jellies.
Those are just a few of the things which I have come up with using storage containers from recycled materials. Do you have any more ideas and suggestions?
More by this Author
This is a hub which primarily talks about the Maple Leaf which is the most widely recognized national symbol of Canada. Know some facts about the Maple leaf, the Maple syrup and the Maple tree itself.
Clothes can be stains with various substances which need to be treated differently. This hub talks about how to remove stains in clothes with careful consideration of the type of stain on the clothes.
Indoor air quality may be worse than outdoor air quality. Know what you can do to improve the air quality in your home so your family can live healthily and avoid the risk of asthma and COPD.