How to Propagate a Dieffenbachia Plant Using Cuttings
You Probably Already Have One!
- If you have house plants in your home, there is a very good chance that one or more of them is a dieffenbachia plant, sometimes known as dumb cane. If you have one that you have been caring for and you think you could never have another one that looks as good, think again, because that one nice plant can produce many more using cuttings.
- If you start a plant from seed, you can never be certain how it will turn out, but using cuttings allows you to clone the plant and have another one with the exact, same characteristics. And, the good news is that it is EASY!
- Here's how it's done.
What You Will Need
* A healthy dieffenbachia plant
* Some potting soil
* Rooting hormone
- Don't have any reservations about cutting your dieffenbachia plant. They will grow to the ceiling if you let them. I always cut the plant to my desired height and use that cutting to start a new plant (I don't particularly want my plant to be huge, thick and to the ceiling). Use a sterile knife to make the cuttings and be sure to sterilize the instrument before and after you use it.
- Dust the cut with rooting hormone. There are so many rooting hormones available...just pick the one that you like or have used before. Personally, I have used them all and find no measurable differences in any of them.
- Stick the cutting into some NEW, STERILE potting soil (I like Miracle Grow). The cutting will take root(patience is a virtue)and the mother plant from which you took the cutting will branch out.
Tips and Warnings
* USE STERILE INSTRUMENTS, STERILE POTTING SOIL AND WASH YOUR HANDS OFTEN WHEN HANDLING DIEFFENBACHIA PLANTS!
* Keep your cuttings in an area where the temperature is pretty constantly 65-70 degrees.
* The sap of the dieffenbachia plant is poison. If you have small children or pets, ALWAYS be mindful of where your plant is placed. It MUST be out of reach.
* ALWAYS wash your hands after handling a dieffenbachia plant. Even a very small amount of sap on your tongue can cause your throat to close up and you could suffocate.
* Cleanliness is essential when propagating any plants, so use a sterile knife to make your cuttings.
Check Out Some of My Quizzes
- Martin Luther King Jr.: A Multiple-Choice Quiz and ...
This is a multiple-choice quiz and study guide on the life of Reverend Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. Designed to aid high school students and homeschoolers in their study of this great man and leader.
- John Adams: A Multiple-Choice Quiz and Study Guide f...
John Adams was the first Vice President and became the second President of the United States. This is a study guide and quiz created to assist those who are home schooled and studying this leader.
- The Lewis and Clark Expedition: A Multiple-Choice Q...
This is a free multiple-choice quiz and study guide on the Lewis and Clark Expedition with the Corps of Discovery, Sacagawea and their canine companion. Designed to aid homeschoolers and other students studying American History.
More by this Author
The best way to propagate a beautiful big-leaf maple tree is from cuttings, and this article will show you exactly how to do it. A tree "cloned" from cuttings will have exactly the same characteristics as the...
If you love your coleus plants outdoors, you will go wild for them when they are grown indoors. Properly potted and cared for, coleus makes a beautiful addition to your house plants. This article will show you what to...
This is a how-to article on growing camellia flowers from cuttings. If you have a beautiful camellia plant, you can actually "clone" it!
No comments yet.