How to Shop for Natural Stone Mosaic
Natural stone mosaic beautifies your home and makes a statement about your personality. When it comes to flooring, nothing really compares to stone - with its great look and strong character it makes a powerful impression on anyone who sees it. What’s more, natural stone’s permanence ensures that it will stand the test of time and never become outdated.
Shopping for stone mosaic doesn’t have to be difficult. You just have to keep in mind a few things about the properties of natural stone, and to understand the products you’re being offered.
Each natural stone has a porosity, which signifies the size and the amount of the pores in a stone. The porosity of the stone has an impact on its stain resistance, as well as on its strength. Porous stones such as marble and limestone need to be cleaned and sealed often. At the other end of the spectrum, granite and slate are harder and denser, and tend to be more resistant to damage and require less maintenance. But this doesn’t mean that porous stones are bad investments. Only that they need to be maintained differently.
- Natural Stone Virtual Showroom
At Amanzi, we pride ourselves on offering you the widest selection of the highest quality stones. Whether you’re looking for bold, dramatic marble countertops, the rugged durability of granite, or an elegant natural stone such as quartz, our highly-e
- Stone Mosaics on Pinterest
Ideas and images on different stone mosaic designs
- Roman mosaic - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
A Roman mosaic is a mosaic, made in Ancient Rome or by Roman artists outside of Roman frontiers. The Romans introduced exquisite mosaics in their domestic architecture and in the places of worship.
It’s important to know where you will put the stone mosaic before you buy it. Some manufacturers offer specially treated stone mosaic varieties that are made to withstand bad weather, and thus are a great choice for patios or walkways. Spending your money on these varieties will turn out to be a great long term investment.
Each type of natural stone has its own particularities.
- Marble’s stain resistance and toughness can vary considerably from one variety to another. If you’ve made up your mind to buy marble, ask the provider for guidance in choosing the right variety for your needs. Generally, when buying marble, it’s good to get the highest quality you can afford, as the difference in quality between a cheaper marble and expensive one can be considerable.
- Travertine is an alternative to marble, having roughly the same look but being more affordable.
- Limestone mosaics cut from the same slab show little variation in color, unlike other natural stones. If you want your mosaics to maintain a consistent color, limestone might be the right choice for you.
- Granite is generally more scratch-resistant than marble, making it a good choice for mosaics in family kitchens or bathrooms, or any other areas that are going to be used a lot.
- When shopping for stone mosaics be careful with samples, because they don’t always give you the true measure of what you’re buying. Don’t buy immediately after seeing a small sample. Insist on being showed more.
Finally, you need to think about the installation of your mosaics. Although, natural stone mosaics can easily be damaged during a bad installation. The installation is usually difficult and demanding, and for it to be carried out perfectly it requires experienced hands. What’s more, a substrate will have to be laid beforehand, and this needs to be done well, else it might cause you problems later on. So it’s best to leave the installation to a professional.
Amazing Mosaic Kitchen
More by this Author
Most people don't know it yet, and many actually take it for granted, but the most effective tactic to make their home more comfortable lies just above their heads. When checking out a home, we ask about the location...
The Kitchen is an important room in most homes, it’s where families cook and eat together. When considering a new kitchen layout it’s important to understand the pros and cons of each.
countertop There are many different types of stone countertops that are offered on the market. One of the most popular nowadays is limestone. In the past couple of years, limestone has become an increasingly popular...