How to Stencil and Design Pillowcases with Paint
Pillowcases can be decorated and stenciled with paint to create unique and beautiful accents to a bedroom. Stencil pillowcases for a friend as a gift, or have your children make a charming gift for their grandparents. This is also a great way to add a monogram to a pillow case for personalization. Fabric paints which are available at most craft stores like Joann Fabrics, AC Moore, Hobby Lobby or Michael's; are easy to use and the results are durable and washable. The fabric paints may be applied to store bought 100% cotton pillowcases and bed sheets. Pre-cut stencils are also available at most craft stores in a wide variety of designs ranging from florals to geometrics. If you don't like the look of ready made stencils, create your own by tracing a design on acetate and cutting it out. Coordinate the stencil paint color to match wall color, upholstered pieces in the room, or as a vibrant contrast color. Use at least 3 different colors for a multi-hued sophisticated effect or for more complicated designs; or just 2 colors for simple, primitive country designs.
For the project you will need:
White cotton pillowcases
Paint brushes or stipple brush(depending on the look you want).
1. Lay the pillowcase on a flat surface.
2. Place the stencil on top of the pillowcase in the desired area. The hemmed area of the pillowcase is a good place to showcase a design.
3. Tape the stencil down with tape to adhere to the fabric.
4. Lightly trace the pattern of the stencil onto the pillowcase with a pencil.
5. Fill in the pattern or design with the paintbrush or the stipple brush. A stipple brush will give a more textured and mottled appearance, while a regular paintbrush may be used to achieve full depth of color.
6. Allow the paint to dry completely.
7. Launder the pillowcases on a gentle cycle before use. Dry thoroughly.
More by this Author
Various herbs along with garlic may help to alleviate heart palpitations.
Change the look o your kitchen cabinets with a little decoupage.
Picking out the right countertop can be tricky. Learn how to find the right countertop to suit your home and lifestyle.