How to Stencil and Design Pillowcases with Paint
Pillowcases can be decorated and stenciled with paint to create unique and beautiful accents to a bedroom. Stencil pillowcases for a friend as a gift, or have your children make a charming gift for their grandparents. This is also a great way to add a monogram to a pillow case for personalization. Fabric paints which are available at most craft stores like Joann Fabrics, AC Moore, Hobby Lobby or Michael's; are easy to use and the results are durable and washable. The fabric paints may be applied to store bought 100% cotton pillowcases and bed sheets. Pre-cut stencils are also available at most craft stores in a wide variety of designs ranging from florals to geometrics. If you don't like the look of ready made stencils, create your own by tracing a design on acetate and cutting it out. Coordinate the stencil paint color to match wall color, upholstered pieces in the room, or as a vibrant contrast color. Use at least 3 different colors for a multi-hued sophisticated effect or for more complicated designs; or just 2 colors for simple, primitive country designs.
For the project you will need:
White cotton pillowcases
Paint brushes or stipple brush(depending on the look you want).
1. Lay the pillowcase on a flat surface.
2. Place the stencil on top of the pillowcase in the desired area. The hemmed area of the pillowcase is a good place to showcase a design.
3. Tape the stencil down with tape to adhere to the fabric.
4. Lightly trace the pattern of the stencil onto the pillowcase with a pencil.
5. Fill in the pattern or design with the paintbrush or the stipple brush. A stipple brush will give a more textured and mottled appearance, while a regular paintbrush may be used to achieve full depth of color.
6. Allow the paint to dry completely.
7. Launder the pillowcases on a gentle cycle before use. Dry thoroughly.
More by this Author
Change the look o your kitchen cabinets with a little decoupage.
Picking out the right countertop can be tricky. Learn how to find the right countertop to suit your home and lifestyle.
Various herbs along with garlic may help to alleviate heart palpitations.