Husqvarna Riding Mower - How to Change the Engine Oil and Fuel Filter
Changing Engine Oil in a Husqvarna Riding Mower
We recently moved into a our new home with a 2 acre lot (most of it is mowable yard). A Husqvarna 48" riding mower conveyed with the sale of the house.. I never owned a riding mower before, but realized quickly that a riding mower is required for the size of our yard.. After mowing once a week for most of the summer (there's an irrigation system, so the grass continuously grows in the summer), the riding mower needed some maintenance (changing the oil and changing the fuel filter).. Now, I didn't have the owner's manual for the riding mower, which is why I'm writing this hub, in case others need help in doing this..
Husqvarna Riding Mower Maintenance Video
Husqvarna Lawn Tractors on Amazon.Com
Step by Step Directions on How to Change the Engine Oil
Here are the proper steps for changing the engine oil on a Husqvarna riding mower (courtesy of a Husqvarna owner's manual I recently found):
- Be sure tractor is on level surface
- Oil will drain more freely when warm
- Catch oil in a suitable container
- Remove oil fill cap/dipstick. Be careful not to allow dirt to enter the engine when changing oil
- Remove yellow cap from end of drain valve and install the drain tube onto the fitting
- Unlock drain valve by pushing inward and turning counterclockwise (check out video for more on this)
- To open, pull out on the drain valve
- After the oil has drained completely, close and lock the drain valve by pushing inward and turning clockwise until the pin is in the locked position
- Remove the drain tube and replace the cap onto the bottom fitting of the drain valve
- Refill engine with oil through oil fill dipstick tube. Pour slowly. Do not overfill.
- Use gauge on oil fill cap/dipstick for checking level. Insert dipstick into the tube and rest the oil fill cap on the tube. Don't thread the cap onto the tube when taking a reading. Keep oil at "FULL" line on dipstick. Tighten cap onto the tube securely when finished.
It is essential that you have the drain tube (as I tried this without one, because the mower didn't come with it).. It was a mess without the tube.. You can pick up a drain tube at Lowe's or Home Depot if you need one..
I'd also recommend picking a surface area that you wouldn't mind spilling a little oil on, in case there is any leakage..and is a surface that is easier to do the clean-up on..
Husqvarna recommends that you change the oil on your Husqvarna riding mower after every 50 hours of use, or after each season, whichever comes first. The oil filter should be changed after every hundred hours of use.
Changing the Fuel Filter in a Husqvarna Riding Mower
Changing the fuel filter on a Husqvarna riding mower is a piece of cake..and necessary once every season. If you don't do it, eventually fuel won't reach the carburetor, due to the filter being clogged. There are two black tubes that connect to the fuel filter (as seen at right in the photo). The tube to the right of the fuel filter is where the fuel comes in to the filter (and where, when you remove the tube from the filter, the fuel leakage occurs). The left tube leads to the carburetor. The tubes are held to the fuel filter arms by circular clamps, which can be loosened by pliers, then the tube can be pulled off. Take the right tube off first. Immediately put a golf tee (yes, a golf tee) in the tube at right to stop any fuel leakage. Then, remove the tube to the left of the fuel filter, using the pliers again to loosen the circular clamp (no golf tee required on that one). Replace with a new filter, attaching the left tube first by loosening the circular clamp on the tube, fitting the tube over the filter arm, then releasing the clamp. Take the golf tee off the right tube and immediate place over the receiving arm of the fuel filter, repeating the clamp instructions above. I would have some paper towels handy as some fuel will trickle out in this process.
- How to Change the Oil in a Husqvarna Riding Lawn Mower | eHow.com
How to Change the Oil in a Husqvarna Riding Lawn Mower. Husqvarna recommends changing the oil on your riding lawn mower at the beginning of each mowing season. This will help prolong the life of your mower by keeping the moving parts within the crank
- Tractor Forum : MyTractorForum.Com Tractor Forums
Mytractorforum.com: The Tractor site with tractor forums and discussion groups, Tractor information, Home and gardening forum, farming, parts, John deere, Craftsman, Cub Cadet, Ford, Simplicity and more.
Husqvarna Riding Lawn Mowers Product Line
- Husqvarna riding lawn mowers, lawn tractors, garden tractors
Powerful and versatile riding lawn mowers and tractors for your yard.
More by this Author
Learn the answers to the top questions this mattress expert gets on choosing a quality memory foam mattress. Get personally tested, recommended Amazon products too! Over a decade in the industry..
Mattress donation is a great way to help those in need, if your mattress is in good condition. Here you'll find a boatload of information on how to donate a mattress and improve the mattress you own.
From folding foundations to traditional box springs, a mattress expert reviews the best ways to support your memory foam or latex mattress.
No comments yet.