Kitchen Backsplashes: Express Yourself!
If you are bored with your kitchen it may be time to consider some backsplash ideas. Today, more than ever, there is a huge variety of materials, designs and styles to choose from. Taking the time to do your research, looking at many different designs, and knowing your wants and needs will help with the final decision.
After all, the backsplash doesn't just protect the walls it makes a statement about you to everyone who walks into your home. Be as creative as you want to be. The difference between a mediocre kitchen and a great kitchen is often times the design of the backsplash.
Express Yourself with Your Kitchen Backsplash
You can bring new life to your kitchen with the right kitchen backsplash. Don't be afraid to try something new, to use an unusual material or put things together in a unique way. Your backsplash design can pull all of the other elements of your kitchen together and create a harmony within the workspace.
The function of the backsplash is to protect the walls and make the area easier to clean. Always choose material that is easy to clean and will hold up well year after year. Think about how you use the kitchen, the amount and type of cooking you do, and the time you spend there. What is going to be most pleasing to you? What colors and textures do you love?
It is good to make an idea file. Just tear out and file pictures you see in magazines or print pictures that you see on the Internet. What type of look are you consistently drawn to?
Backsplash Materials:Pros and Cons
Choosing the material for your new kitchen backsplash can be daunting. There are may types and each one has positive and negative qualities. When considering backsplashes always consider your needs as well as the look you want.
Some of the materials you may want to consider are:
- Tile- There are many types of tiles which can be used for kitchen backsplashes. Glass tiles, metal, natural stone, ceramic, recycled glass, the list goes on and on. Tiles are very easy to install during a weekend do it yourself project. They are easy to clean, and to keep looking good. Most tiles are both heat and stain resistant. A tile to consider that will open up your kitchen is mirror tiles. You will have to guard against the grout becoming discolored and staining. The best way to do this is to seal the grout after installation.
- Tongue and groove wainscoting-This is a fantastic look for country kitchens. Tongue and groove paneling can be stained or painted with scrubbable paint. It is easy to clean but if it gets gouged or burned there is no real fix for it.
- Stainless steel-Stainless steel brings a sleek, modern look to nearly any kitchen. The stainless steel backsplash is versatile, complimenting virtually any countertop. These are some of the most durable and easy to clean countertop choices. The negative is that they are expensive and they can be scratched and stained.
- Cork- This backsplash is certainly not for everyone. It is not completely durable and takes more care than most people want to give. It is perfect for the busy work at home mom, though. Use the cork to pin up a recipe, leave a note, or keep your to do list handy.
- Magnetic whiteboard- Magnetic whiteboard gives a cool, contemporary look to the backsplash. It is hardworking, allowing you to make notes right on the wall!backsplash idea.
- Antique ceiling tiles- these old tiles ar emaking a comeback as backsplshes. The heavily embossed designs are a great way to protect those walls. These are best in a kitchen that does not see heavy use because of the age.
- Chalkboard paint is easy to clean. It makes a great kitchen backsplash because you can write notes right on the wall.
More by this Author
There are both pros and cons to marmoleum,flooring. Is it the perfect option for your home or a complete nightmare that you will regret for years?
Most old houses have one great thing in common - the pantry. Designing an antique pantry is not difficult but can add numerous benefits to your home
Building an outdoor fireplace is something that most anyone can do with the right tools, some instructions, and the help of some friends. Whether you use a kit or make it from the ground up, ultimately it will add...