Unique Outdoor Lighting Ideas and Fixtures
A well-designed outdoor lighting system creates both comfort and safety for your outdoor living spaces. Outdoor lighting fixtures can be used to highlight special features such as statues, plants and ornamental trees. It can also provide security lighting along pathways and perimeter fencing. The most effective outdoor lighting should illuminate key locations such as sitting areas, paths, stairs, pool decks and doorways.
Types of Outdoor Lighting
There are three types of outdoor lighting:
- Standard outdoor lighting fixtures which use 120 volt current from your house.
- Low voltage lighting. Low voltage landscape lighting has become very popular since it's safe, inexpensive and easy to install. Low voltage lights come in a variety of styles and designs tailored specifically for outdoor lighting use and are easily found at most local home improvement stores.
- Solar powered lights. Solar powered exterior lighting is eco-friendly and available as freestanding lights, post lighting or attachable to railing, stairs and other structures.
Deck Lighting Ideas
Unique Outdoor Lighting Ideas and Tips
Effective use of outdoor lighting techniques can completely change the atmosphere of your outdoor living space. Whether you are looking for a year round effect or lighting for special events, a few simple ideas can enhance the ambience and add romance, flare or magic to any outdoor setting.
Here are several tips and ideas for outdoor lighting and fixtures:
- Functional outdoor lighting ideas for special occasions. Post lights, wall sconces, and strings of christmas lights are instant and easy winners for any special event.
- Romantic outdoor lighting. Hanging lanterns and traditional style lanterns with candles add romance to your outdoor setting providing both beauty and professionalism at once.
- Get Tropical. Tropical outdoor lighting with tiki torches and citronella candles add a tropical flare to your evening parties and also help keep the bugs at bay. You can easily add strings of lights to this motif as well for a tropical beach hut theme.
- Light the way. Outdoor path and walkway lighting adds safety and invites exploration. This is particularly effective if you have special landscape features, waterfalls or ornamental trees to be discovered in your back yard.
- Eco-friendly lighting options. Solar landscape lights are available in many styles from pathway to post and deck lighting. LED landscape lighting has also gained popularity in this area.
- Highlight your features. Up and Down lighting with spot lights is a great way to accentuate your best landscape features. Up lighting works very well for trees, but don't overuse this lighting style on other objects like statues.
- Vintage outdoor lighting. From chandeliers to candles, combinations of simple lighting elegance provide enough stylish understatement to allow your guests to focus on enjoying the evening.
Outdoor Landscape Lighting Design
Unique Outdoor Lighting Fixtures
Outdoor Lighting Fixture Installation Tips
Regardless which outdoor lighting fixture you choose to install, please remember these simple tips.
- Always start with an outdoor lighting plan. A little up-front effort will save you a lot of time and cost.
- Don't over-do the landscape lighting with too many lights. You can always add more later.
- If you choose to install high voltage lighting, be sure to employ the services of a licensed electrician both for personal safety and to avoid possible damage to your home.
- Be creative and have fun!